Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Oh, man...I need help bigtime...(long, need help ASAP)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, man...I need help bigtime...(long, need help ASAP)

So, I'm coning home from getting the Z some gas to mix in with the old stuff that's been in it since August after dark last night (no ins/registration). Coming back down my drive, I flick on the hibeams, and everything goes black. Stereo dies. Fan dies. Now, the brakes, hazards, blinkers and blower motor still work. I assume they're on a different circuit.

I get home today with intentions of woorking the bugs out of it, and it has power to the stereo. Then it fades slowly out, but the interior courtesy lights stay on. I play with the inderhood witing for a bit and make sure the grounds are OK, but now my changer won't spit out the mag.

Flip the key back to "acc" and the sub starts popping at about 4 beats per minute and the head unit is clicking at the same rate. WTF??

I don't know where to start on this one. I'm so baffled on this, I don't even kow what to attempt to fix...

ANYONE have any tips for me?

------------------
Matt86Z
~Check out my Thirdgen~
...This Ain't No Speedway!...
Old 04-23-2001, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something is grounded. try the rca wires they could be bad disconect the rca's and see if anything changes since you have a sub I assume you do have a non built in amp so disconect the rca's pull the amp fuse and work from there. amps can be the weak link in a good system.
Old 04-24-2001, 01:20 PM

Sub's in an internallyu powered tube config. sorry for the mix-up.
Old 04-27-2001, 04:58 PM

You have just toasted your alternator. I have had this happen to me many times.

Sometimes the alternator will work after it has cooled down but it will fail again as soon as it heats up again.

That clatter when you turn the ignition occurs when not enough voltage or amperage is available to start the car.