Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Yet another F-Body in the stable! (Carb'ed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 10:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Yet another F-Body in the stable! (Carb'ed)

Well, first off, let me say it has a carb problem- it's getting a mixture control solenoid too rich fault only at idle speeds. Rest of the time it runs beautiful. Diagnosing this weekend. Suspect the IAB valve is sticking or something related to that but not sure yet.

As you can tell, it's a carbureted F-Body. 1985 Z-28 with 5 speed and weakling LG-4 motor with computer controlled QJet. Body in excellent shape, interior too. High miles but well maintained. It's my brother's new daily driver but I promised to buy it from him as soon as he doesn't need it any more for the same as he paid: $2000!!

This makes the FIFTH project car between the two of us! Somebody stop me!!
Old 05-27-2001, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Damon:
[B]Well, first off, let me say it has a carb problem- it's getting a mixture control solenoid too rich fault only at idle speeds. Rest of the time it runs beautiful. Diagnosing this weekend. Suspect the IAB valve is sticking or something related to that but not sure yet.
B]</font>
Hey,
I had the same exact promblem!! It is like something to do with the center cap being wrong or something. Just trust me it nothing but the carb.
I would have fixed my car myself but my mom wanted to spend 900 bucks on **** like that cause she needed me driving in the next few days. As always the car took twice as long as the mechanic tells everyone. I hate mechanics!! However I do want to be a Hi-Po Mechanic..... does that make me a bad person?? <LOL>
Erik

[This message has been edited by CamaroLuvnPunk (edited May 27, 2001).]
Old 05-28-2001, 07:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Erik- I have mechanics, too. THe longer i live 9and work on cars0 the more I realize they don't know any more about the fine DETAILS than I do! When it comes to carbs, usually less!

Anyhow, It's fixed now. We rebuilt the carb and found about 150K miles of road crud built up on the Idle Air Bypass valve passages. We also fine tuned the IAB with the help of our Diacom scanner to get the mixture control solenoid at 50% duty cycle at idle speeds. Check Engine light is not protesting any more and the thing idles like a champ from cold startup to hot idle.

We also, um, fiddled with the secondaries for more performance while we were at it. (Naturally!) Less air valve spring tension, CH rods replaced with DRs and the air door stop filed down for more opening. Runs better than any $2000 beater has a right to.