Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Major Vacuum problems!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 08:17 PM
jrm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major Vacuum problems!!!!!

I just bought an 82 Z28 that was sitting for 6 years. It has a stock Q-jet on a semi modded 305 with carburetor vacuum hoses stuck in all the wrong places. (I think) The engine runs like crap and bogs after 4 grand. As far as I know before it was parked it ran perfect. I have since re-done everything on the engine and also re-built the carburetor. When I went to put the carb back on, I looked at the vacuum diagram, but could not make any sence of it. All that is there for vacuum lines is one from the distributer and one from the exhust manifold. All the other ones are plugged. I bought the car like this, and I havn't got it to run good yet. The engine is stock except for a mild cam, edelbrock "junior" performer intake and an open element breather. I'm not sure if certain things are missing from the engine, but there are alot of vacuum hosed that are plugged up for some reason.

Any help would be appriciated.....thanks
Old 08-12-2002, 09:22 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Is this a Canadian car?

Whether it is or not, if the carb and distributor are both non-computer controlled, then the only vacuum lines you "need" from the carb are a small one to the vacuum advance and a large one for the PCV valve. The other emissions equipment, even if there, in general shouldn't affect how the engine runs. You should also have a line from the intake manifold for power brakes and heater controls, but again, shouldn't affect how the engine runs (unless the PB booster diaphragm is blown).

There shouldn't be anything directly from the carb to the exhaust manifold. The exhaust has a valve (EFE) that is supposed to be closed when the engine is cold, but that line should go to a thermo-vacuum switch on the thermostat housing. If it is connected directly to vacuum, you're blocking off 1/2 of the exhaust all of the time - typically not a desireable condition.