Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

carb problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: Borg Warner 5 Speed
carb problems

My car started running like poo about a week ago, then it got worse, it wouldn't harly run at all. the mixture control stopped working, and the TPS was off. So I put new ones in. It cost me $140.00 for everything that I needed.(books and rebuild kit etc.) I put the carb back on and the MCS works again, I havent checked the TPS, but it should still be OK, but I still have the problem. The accel pump is working too. The problem is that it runs fine at idle, no problem, but off idle it misses out and bogs and if I put it to the floor, it dies!. Even just off idle it's ok, I think there is something wrong with my seconaries. The car was throwing codes, but this is more than emissions trouble. Please help, I can't spend anymore money like that for no reasonm, and I'm sick of being taken to work. Thanks
Old 11-30-2002, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: Borg Warner 5 Speed
update: I went outside and tried to run a diagnostic, and I can't. The SES light won't come on. I drove down the street and it seems like while I'm accelerating it runs like poo, but if I let off the gas just a bit it surges forward for a second, them bog or hesitates again like it's missing out. I checked TPS voltage and it was not right, I couldn't even get a reading. I don't think my TPS is adjustable though. There is no adjustment screw on it or anything that I could see. I made an appointment for a diagnostic check.
Old 11-30-2002, 12:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2009 Volvo V50 R Design
Engine: 2.0 turbo diesel
Transmission: 6 speed auto
Axle/Gears: yes, both
Uh, blocked squrter maybe? if you push the throtle slowly, does the engine rev ok?

Sounds like the mixture not richening as you accelerate to me, and thats the job of the squirter.

My olds cutlass had the same problem after fitting a holley (ugh, never again) but that was due to in correct float heights. it has the same effect though, basicly fuel starvation.