Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

concerns on tpi to carb

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
concerns on tpi to carb

well, I think I have pretty much maxed out the LTR style TPI set-up and am ready to go carb w/ a real cam and intake and try that out for a while.

I have some pretty simple questions that I'm sure you can help me with.

1. Is the "must get a new distributor" clause ONLY b/c of the cam gear situation? I ask b/c I have a 92 Z(factory roller) and intend to put another roller cam back in it so the chewed up cam gear deal shouldnt' be a problem, right?

2. I ask b/c I really would like to keep the electronic advance style dizzy rather than vacc style. I don't know if I will lose that feature or what? I have an MSD adj timing controller and can add/pull timing out on the fly when using the nitrous. Will I lose the ability to do that too?

3. I'm thinking to myself that b/c of the TPS, IAC, etc being GONE, the computer wont know (useless) what to tell the elec. dizzy what to do correct? I also think that I will lose the adj timing capability as well

4. Is the small cap HEI coil usable at all anymore or do I need to convert to the older style large coil in cap style (vac adv.)??

5. What do you do with all the wiring and computer?? Can the computer be disconnected all together and taken out??

thanks in advance
Old 10-28-2007, 11:29 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
The "new" distributor is because of #3.

I suppose there is a system out there that would still be able to use the electronic distributor, but it would probably need TPS at the very least.

I did an external TPS on a carb system (Holley spread bore double pumper) earlier this year. It worked, but I still had all of the other sensors. And, it started out as a carb system.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
Re: concerns on tpi to carb

Its possible to use the ECM as a stand alone timing controller if you disable the closed throttle SA table and just use the main table. The only things that would be absolutely necessary, other then the ECM and dist., would be the MAP so there is a load reference. You would, however, need to be able to burn proms so you can change the spark advance and disable all the codes that are no longer applicable.