Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

canister control valve excessive fuel

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
canister control valve excessive fuel

Hello all,

Finally after months of trying to find my excessive richness I finally have. I do not though understand what to do. I noticed two hoses that felt extra cold on the canister and its control valve. If I pull the one out that runs to the carb, the one that states carb bowl, fuel comes out a bit, not alot., but then will stop running rough and the car runs like a dream! Can I just plug that hose that obviously has vacuum and still be fine for venting the tank? And, is that valve just bad or how can I tell because id like to replace it if I know that's it. Thank you for your time!!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: canister control valve excessive fuel

Can I just plug that hose that obviously has vacuum
ASFAIK, that large bowl vent line that goes to the cannister collects fuel vapors when motor is off. the carb port for that collection hose runs to the interior space of the top of the float chamber.
I don't think a vacuum should be present on it when the motor runs?
if it does and is sucking a lot of gas vapor off the float chamber and then feeding it back to car engine would make it too rich.
The vapors float into the charcoal cannister when engine is off
the cannister has a purge valve that when the engine runs opens up and sucks vapors out of the cannister and then likely that purge valve close off the bowl vent. That would make sense to me.
So maybe the charcoal cannister purge valve is stuck. Google the purge valve maybe for good information on how it works.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...-canister.html

Last edited by sdowney717; 10-28-2010 at 09:31 AM.