Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Only 1 line coming from tank to carb?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 GTA Trans Am
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9-Bolt 3.27
Only 1 line coming from tank to carb?

Am I missing something here? My 89 GTA was converted to a carb setup. Guy installed an electric pump, not sure how many PSI but I think it may be too much. He did the typical hack job on the hatch area to access the tank pump, but upon getting under the car, I only see 1 line going into the fuel pump, and out to the carb. There are also 2 lines just sitting there and sometimes are wet on the ends like fuel has been coming out of them, not only that, I can smell fuel heavily when taking moderate turns. Do I need to cap off these lines? Did they do this wrong? If any pics are needed I can get some.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:10 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro SC
Engine: None
Transmission: None
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" W/ spool 3.50 gears
Re: Only 1 line coming from tank to carb?

The factory tank should have 4 lines comming from it.
1. vent
2. fuel supply
3. fuel return
4. some other line

You probably are using the factory feed for your pump leaving the other three lines exposed. Mine were like this for quite some time with no issues. I just recently welded everyone but the vent shut. See my thread in the racing forum about "adding a sump" for pictures.

If your seeing/smelling fuel around turns it's probably a bad seal around the top of the sending unit. It's common and should be changed for around $10. You should make a project out of pulling the tank, changing the seal and closing the lines.

What kind of pump is it? A lot of those mechanical carb pumps have internal regulators in them which don't require return lines. Thats how mine was. Do you have a fuel pressure guage? What does it read?
Old 11-30-2010, 01:14 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Originally Posted by Fast 383
4. some other line?
Vapor recovery.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:19 PM

Car: 1987 GTA Trans Am
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9-Bolt 3.27
Re: Only 1 line coming from tank to carb?

Originally Posted by Fast 383
The factory tank should have 4 lines comming from it.
1. vent
2. fuel supply
3. fuel return
4. some other line

You probably are using the factory feed for your pump leaving the other three lines exposed. Mine were like this for quite some time with no issues. I just recently welded everyone but the vent shut. See my thread in the racing forum about "adding a sump" for pictures.

If your seeing/smelling fuel around turns it's probably a bad seal around the top of the sending unit. It's common and should be changed for around $10. You should make a project out of pulling the tank, changing the seal and closing the lines.

What kind of pump is it? A lot of those mechanical carb pumps have internal regulators in them which don't require return lines. Thats how mine was. Do you have a fuel pressure guage? What does it read?
Thanks for the reply! Yes I do believe it's a factory feed. I ended up closing off the other 2 lines but still smell fuel. Could very well be the top seal, not only that, the PO did the common hack job to the hatch area to get to the top of the tank. So guess I won't have to drop it to replace the seal huh? There is a electric fuel pump mounted to the body. I do have a gauge and it's reading around 6 on startup. Once the car warms up it drops to around 3-4?