Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

nightmare of vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
nightmare of vacuum lines

let me start out by saying i bought the car like this and am trying to get it straightened out. What i have is an 86 z28 305 with and edelbrock carb and when you look under my hood there are just vacuum lines everywhere and some not even hooked up on has a golf tee stuck in it so i am wondering where should i start i have the diagram for the line but being that it no longer has a quadrajet what do i need what should i have connected and what can i toss if someone were to have a pic that would also be great
Old 05-03-2011, 12:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Re: nightmare of vacuum lines

One line for the PCV, one line for the distributor. Maybe lines for cruise control and HVAC, if you have such things.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

ON the carb, there will be 3 vacuum ports on the front, one large in the middle, two smaller ones on each side. Looking at the engine, the middle one should connect to a PCV valve on a valve cover. The one on the left should go to the distributor, the one on the right should just be capped off.

On the rear of the carb, there should be another larger vacuum port - this gets a hose to the brake booster - should be a check valve in the middle somewhere.

On the intake behind the carb, there should be a vacuum 'tree' that comes up. There should be a vacuum line comes off that runs to the driver fender, and down the fender, and disappears under driver headlight. That line runs the the 'mystical orb' aka the vacuum ball canister under the driver headlight - you can only see it from underneath. That ball 'holds' vacuum for the heater/defroster controls - for times when you have low manifold vacuum - there is vacuum 'stored' so those controls keep working.

Off that line, back at the intake 'tree', there should be a check valve - that splits the above line, one running to the vacuum ball, the other running to the firewall just to the right of the heater motor box. The check valve allows vacuum to 'get stored' in the ball, but makes it available for the heater controls.

There might be another vacuum line coming out of the firewall at the heater blower motor box - that one runs to the heater diverter valve - which opens and closes a valve allowing coolant into the heater core (coolant goes in when controls set to heat, coolant stops going in when controls set to cool).

There might be a couple more ...

If the fuel evap canister is still there, then you might have a vacuum line from the front right of the carb to it. That evap canister can be removed, that vacuum line removed from carb and capped as I mentioned before. You just need to take a chunk of fuel hose and attach to the hard fuel line that goes to the evap cansiter and run it under the car - that way no leaking fuel or fumes are released in the engine bay where things are hot - they are released out the bottom where they won't ever have the potential to catch fire.

There might also be vacuum lines to the cruise control diaphram. More than likely, the cruise isn't working anymore anyway - so that can be removed as well.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 z28
Engine: 305

thanks for the info ill take a look at it after work
Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Camaro
Engine: 305 LG4 (H)
Axle/Gears: 2.73

A Haynes/Chiltons manual should have pictures of the vacuum hoses, might be worth picking one up (since its such an old car your more than likely going to be repairing other things eventually). If you have access to AllData that is really helpful if you know what your looking for.