Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

mechanical fuel pump to electric fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mechanical fuel pump to electric fuel pump

this has probably been gone over before but im in a jam and dont have time to look through all the threads.

i noticed my fuel lines were extremely close to the headers the other day and that the fuel in the filter was bubbling alot. the space between the header and the fuel line is just enough to slide a piece of paper through. i was thinking of moving the lines and switching to the carb friendly low pressure electric pump 5.5- 9 PSI but i have no idea on what to do with the fuel return line. i have removed the factory a/c stuff and will be ordering the new piece from hawks after i get my first paycheck. but i have been noticing that when i shut the car off the motor diesels. i think its because of the fuel bubbling from the heat but im not sure. its a 82 z28 with a carbed 350 mech. fan. i dont know exactly if the car was a tpi 305 or not. when i got it the kid had put a 350 in it and i ripped it out and put my fresher 350 in it. the temp guage reads about 220 going down the road. it always runs hot no matter what i do to get cooler air going in under the hood. im kinda stumped on the possibilities of whats wrong. any one with advice?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 82 Trans Am
Engine: 13:1 383 stroker on e85
Transmission: t-56
Axle/Gears: ford 9" locker 3.70
Re: mechanical fuel pump to electric fuel pump

Just re-route your fuel lines away from the exhaust.

Here's why you dont want an e-pump. suppose you get into a wreck and sever one of those lines. the mechanical pump would stop pumping as the motor died, the e-pump however will keep pushing fuel, and in the event of a fire, it'll only feed the flame. There of course are ways around this, add a Oil pressure switch to interrupt the e-pumps power or an inertia switch like fords have, and others, but most are a bit more complex than moving your lines. There are also feed issues with some e-pumps that need to be addressed, as well as filtering, and possibly a return being needed.

Just food for thought
Old 04-05-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was going to wire it through the oil pressure sending unit. but i was running into the return line issue. im going to probably get the better flowing mechanical pump.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers

Originally Posted by sonicwolf89
i was going to wire it through the oil pressure sending unit. but i was running into the return line issue. im going to probably get the better flowing mechanical pump.
Keep the return line, the cars were designed to use it, and it keeps the electric pumps cool. get a mallory 4309 return style regulator and your "return line" issues are solved as it allows you to keep the electric pump. Besides, these cars were augmented with electric pumps because of the vapor lock issues your seeing now.

Since they took out the ECM, the factory cooling set up isn't working. the mechanical fan probably doesn't pull enough CFM in town. For your on the highway issues, do you have an airdam? These cars need one to keep cool on the highway.

Also, they were designed to run at 200-220*, so that's fine. I'd also bet that your gauge is off a bit. My 84 gauge reads 20* too hot at temp.