Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

CCC TPS voltage high enough?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 / 2001 Maxima SE
Engine: L69 / VQ30DE
Transmission: T5 / Auto
CCC TPS voltage high enough?

For awhile I could never get my CCC E4ME to have a correct varying 50% dwell on my tach dwell meter at idle, so I bought an Autoxray scanner on ebay to get a better look at the computer data. At idle the TPS read nearly 4.5v and increased all the way to 4.9v at wot. It wasn't running in closed loop which explained my dwell setting issue. The rebuilders (National Carburetor) never adjusted it I suppose.

Turned the TPS screw down until I got .48v at idle (service manual spec for G code L69). The voltage now smoothly increases from .48v to a maximum of 4.19v at wot with the interior pedal (4.22v if I max out the throttle by hand). The car now also enters closed loop and I have adjusted the IAB to reach the correct MCS duty cycle/dwell. Exhaust sure smells better and the extra fuel economy is nice haha.

My main concern is whether the the max TPS voltage of 4.19 is high enough. I've searched and found conflicting answers. Some say anything close to 4v is fine and the carb/CCC system is too stupid to really care at that point. Others say it needs at least 4.5v to enter wot/enrichment mode. CCC gurus, your thoughts?
Old 11-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: CCC TPS voltage high enough?

Anything around 4V or higher is assumed to be "WOT" by the computer.

Fix that throttle cable setup (when you get a chance) so you get the same FULL full throttle opening from the pedal as you do by hand. The secondaries on a QJet are progressive and coming up slightly short of true WOT on the primaries can make the secondaries be well short of fully open.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
Re: CCC TPS voltage high enough?

Originally Posted by Damon
Fix that throttle cable setup (when you get a chance) so you get the same FULL full throttle opening from the pedal as you do by hand. The secondaries on a QJet are progressive and coming up slightly short of true WOT on the primaries can make the secondaries be well short of fully open.
That is really good to know. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but this never occured to me when tuning my carb...I now have a weekend project to check. hehe