Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

How to remove broke off float bowl screw on Holley DP (already helicoiled)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: Turbo 355
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.73:1 7.625" 10 Bolt
How to remove broke off float bowl screw on Holley DP (already helicoiled)

I'm not sure how this happened but one of my float bowl screws broke off in the main body. I already helicoiled all the main body holes. How do I go about getting the rest of the screw out??? I need to save the main body because I have it set up for my blow thru turbo setup. Any suggestions?
Old 08-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: How to remove broke off float bowl screw on Holley DP (already helicoiled)

Did the screw break going in or coming out? Was it hard to turn before it broke?

Worst case scenario:

The threads are likely galled and is now fused into the threaded insert. It'll never come out short of drilling everything out.

If you can drill the screw out you're now faced with another problem. You need to replace the threaded insert as well. But you can't drill the insert because you need the odd ball sized hole and the odd ball sized threads to hold the new insert.

You might be able to pick out the end of the threaded insert and pull it out like a piece of string. The idea is to try and preserve the threads to accept the new insert.

Depending on how much change you have in your pocket, it might be wise to take the carb body to a machine shop (a real machine shop) and get an opinion.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: Turbo 355
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.73:1 7.625" 10 Bolt
Re: How to remove broke off float bowl screw on Holley DP (already helicoiled)

Originally Posted by paulo57509
Did the screw break going in or coming out? Was it hard to turn before it broke?

Worst case scenario:

The threads are likely galled and is now fused into the threaded insert. It'll never come out short of drilling everything out.

If you can drill the screw out you're now faced with another problem. You need to replace the threaded insert as well. But you can't drill the insert because you need the odd ball sized hole and the odd ball sized threads to hold the new insert.

You might be able to pick out the end of the threaded insert and pull it out like a piece of string. The idea is to try and preserve the threads to accept the new insert.

Depending on how much change you have in your pocket, it might be wise to take the carb body to a machine shop (a real machine shop) and get an opinion.
I got it out last night with a small thread extractor! Thanks for the help.