Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

quadrajet worth rebuilding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '02 T/A
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23
quadrajet worth rebuilding?

I found a guy on ebay who says he's been rebuilding carbs for 25 yrs and can send me a rebuilt quadrajet for 220 shipped. Or I can get one for $75 and get a rebuild kit and try myself. Will the basic rebuild kit be sufficient or should I just get one already rebuilt? I've got no experience with carbs but I do have cliffs book.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '84 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 HO
Re: quadrajet worth rebuilding?

I recently rebuilt mine, and it was the first time I ever rebuilt one. Afterwards, I did a little tail-chasing trying to diagnose a problem, but it wasn't the carb's fault. All in all, it turned out to be a complete success.

Ensure you get the right kit, and I highly recommend that you get the correct o-rings for the IAB valve if you decide to do it yourself.

I saw the person on eBay that you spoke of, and I was tempted to get one from him prior to rebuilding mine. Now, I'm glad that I did mine, myself. I learned a ton about Quadrajets, and I know exactly what to expect. Also, it's not that difficult.

naf, a member of this site has a post about rebuilding these carbs. It's a lifesaver. If you do it yourself, take time to read this: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/carb...-ccc-qjet.html

Also, there's a ton of useful info at the top of this forum about Quadrajets.

Here's a site where you can find the o-rings: http://quadrajetparts.com This is about the only site where I was able to find those. Do not use the o-rings that come in a kit as I discovered those weren't the right size, and size of those rings makes a difference if you want the carb to work right. There are top and bottom o-rings, and these are two different sizes.

Do it yourself. If I can do it, so can you. The cool thing about Quadrajets is that, if your ECM, CTS, and O2 sensor are all working correctly, then you can set the Quadrajet to factory specs, and there's minimal adjustment, afterwards.

It's a matter of paying attention to detail and ensuring you have the right tools and measuring devices beforehand.

Last edited by mlbinseattle; 11-14-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling
Old 11-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
Re: quadrajet worth rebuilding?

the hardest part of the Qjet rebuild, is doing the tune right once it's back on the car.