Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Reman qjet weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '85 IROC-Z
Engine: 305cid
Transmission: 5-speed
Re: Reman qjet weirdness

Timing.

I finally got the chance to tinker with the car some more at the weekend. I fired it up, knocked it off the fast idle cam and setup my timing gun. Unfortunately it hasn't really worked well since I dropped it a few years ago... so I just grabbed the dizzy and twisted it a bit anticlockwise to advance the timing. The engine sped up and seemed to settle down. I managed to get a few flashes out of my timing gun and judged the timing to be just about 12-15 degrees but couldn't be sure (this is with the car still cool and everything connected). It still hunted and missed a little, but I guess the timing still needs to be advanced further and set up properly.

But progress!

I then just patiently watched. The car ran and continued to run. Quite a novelty for me! Eventually the car started to overheat and the damn cooling fan didn't cut in, so I shut the car off.

Damn annoying about the fan switch. That's the second me one I've installed and neither seem to work! The fan switches on when the switch connector is grounded, so I can only assume I've had two new dodgy fan switches.... bloody annoying as it's such a faff to change them!
Old 08-01-2016, 07:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Convertable
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed BW T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

Did you unhook the timing wire under the hood first? The brownish tan single wire? Thats when you can adjust the timing and have the computer know what you are doing. Just wondering as you never mentioned anything about it. 85's still had a computer in them although they didn't control all the fancy stuff that ECU's do now. Just a tip. If timing is where you say it is that is where I try to run mine but it wants GOOD fuel to use the additional timing advance. Good luck with her, mine is down right now and I miss her bad!
Old 08-02-2016, 08:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '85 IROC-Z
Engine: 305cid
Transmission: 5-speed

Hi!

No, I didn't unhook that wire. I was never able to get the car to run warm enough to actually unhook that wire and time the car properly - until someone on here told me to just time the damn thing cold with everything connected to get a ballpark timing setting. It seemed to work! When I get a chance (when I've sorted out the damn fan...) I'll run it up to temperature and try setting the timing properly.

Cheers!