Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Fuel starvation w/electric fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel starvation w/electric fuel pump

I recently swapped a 355 into my 88 Firebird. I put some miles on it after breaking in the cam and setting initial timing, and it ran great. After mabye 4 total hours of run time, the carb started surging, stalling the engine. The Holley mighty mite fuel pump i am using makes a loud noise when there isn't gas in it, and gets pretty hot. Also, I can see nothing but an occasional spit of gas from the clear fuel filter I have on it. After verifying that all filters are clear, lines arent bent, ect, I shot some compressed air in the carb fuel inlet, and down the float bowl/overflows and some other places. After this, the fuel pump quiets down and sends healthy pulses into the clear filter. The car ran good for about another hour after this. The carb is an edelbrock 1405.
Is this a problem with float/needle and seat LEVEL, or just the needle getting stuck?
Could I possibly have TOO much fuel pressure from the pump? It's the 4-7 psi model
EVERY component of the fuel system is new, no kinks or bent lines or anything corroded, gas is crystal clear.
Working on getting a Holley...