Need help finding a proper carburetor - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Go Back  Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Carburetors
Reload this Page >

Need help finding a proper carburetor

Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Need help finding a proper carburetor

Reply

Old 10-10-2018, 05:21 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: V8 5.0L
Transmission: Automatic
Need help finding a proper carburetor

Hello I drive a 1985 camaro z28 automatic transmission v8 5.0L and need to find a carburetor that fits the car properly. I tried looking online but just dont know which would actually fit. All recomendations greatly appreciated and if more specifications needed i will provide thank you.
juanmhiii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 AM
  #2  
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Henrietta NY
Posts: 3,787
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: 355 Carbed V8 Patriot Vortec Heads
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

midias is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:23 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
jstadmud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 59
Car: 1987 IROC Z28
Engine: 5.0 liter
Transmission: 700R-4
Axle/Gears: 273 posi trac
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

What kind of fuel delivery system is currently on your car?



...
jstadmud is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:37 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: V8 5.0L
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by midias View Post
ah ok thanks
juanmhiii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:47 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: V8 5.0L
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by jstadmud View Post
What kind of fuel delivery system is currently on your car?



...
Gonna be honest and say not sure because im not well versed in all the parts as id like to be but its all stock no modifications.
juanmhiii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:19 AM
  #6  
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Henrietta NY
Posts: 3,787
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: 355 Carbed V8 Patriot Vortec Heads
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by juanmhiii View Post
Gonna be honest and say not sure because im not well versed in all the parts as id like to be but its all stock no modifications.
Is your engine stock or did someone **** with it?
Is your old carb rebuildable?
If you are not sure what you have pop off the air filter and take some pictures and we can help
midias is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:29 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: V8 5.0L
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by midias View Post
Is your engine stock or did someone **** with it?
Is your old carb rebuildable?
If you are not sure what you have pop off the air filter and take some pictures and we can help
Engine is all stock but i am running on a replacement carburetor at the moment.
juanmhiii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:33 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: V8 5.0L
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by juanmhiii View Post
Engine is all stock but i am running on a replacement carburetor at the moment.


I am also looking for wiring for the carburetor i plan on purchasing from rockauto. I just cant seem to find where i can purchase them so help with that would be appreciated as well, thank you.
juanmhiii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:35 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: V8 5.0L
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by juanmhiii View Post

I am also looking for wiring for the carburetor i plan on purchasing from rockauto. I just cant seem to find where i can purchase them so help with that would be appreciated as well, thank you.


juanmhiii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:11 PM
  #10  
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,582
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450 GT
Engine: Various
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Lets back up here a minute - what makes you think you need a new carb?

GD
GeneralDisorder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:03 AM
  #11  
Supreme Member
 
NoEmissions84TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Meriden, CT 06450
Posts: 1,818
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 4.10 Auburn Posi
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Did anyone notice that his picture shows a manual M4ME Quadrajet - not a computer-controlled E4ME.
NoEmissions84TA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:32 AM
  #12  
naf
Supreme Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 4,894
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA View Post
Did anyone notice that his picture shows a manual M4ME Quadrajet - not a computer-controlled E4ME.
Don't stop there...

2) EGR plugged into vacuum
3) Vacuum line connected to TVS with other port open
4) computer controlled dist with manual carb

OP

you have two options at this point

1) Continue on the path the car is on now and properly install the existing carb with the appropriate distributor and some method to engage the lock up

2) Return the car to stock operation with computer control.

I can only add that option 1 may be easiest and least expensive in the short term. option 2 could be more difficult, require acquisition of the proper carburetor and trouble shooting all of the associated sensors and gadgets required, that may or may not be now present and functioning. Option 2 will most likely provide the best fuel economy, drivability and power in the long run. I would go back to factory no question, but I have a few boxes somewhere that should have any parts I need and I've done this a time or two.
naf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:00 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: V8 5.0L
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder View Post
Lets back up here a minute - what makes you think you need a new carb?

GD
first carb car had wouldnt pass smog check anymore out here in california and not rebuildable, taken to reliable mechanic so he put the one seen in pictures as replacement to pass smog while he suggested i get a factory original best for the car.
juanmhiii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:02 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: V8 5.0L
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA View Post
Did anyone notice that his picture shows a manual M4ME Quadrajet - not a computer-controlled E4ME.
seeing as how i know little to nothing im guessing that cant be good for the car
juanmhiii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:05 PM
  #15  
naf
Supreme Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 4,894
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

there's some evidence that the 'reliable' mechanic perhaps didn't understand what he was doing.

did it really pass smog like that?
naf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:21 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: V8 5.0L
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by naf View Post
Don't stop there...

2) EGR plugged into vacuum
3) Vacuum line connected to TVS with other port open
4) computer controlled dist with manual carb

OP

you have two options at this point

1) Continue on the path the car is on now and properly install the existing carb with the appropriate distributor and some method to engage the lock up

2) Return the car to stock operation with computer control.

I can only add that option 1 may be easiest and least expensive in the short term. option 2 could be more difficult, require acquisition of the proper carburetor and trouble shooting all of the associated sensors and gadgets required, that may or may not be now present and functioning. Option 2 will most likely provide the best fuel economy, drivability and power in the long run. I would go back to factory no question, but I have a few boxes somewhere that should have any parts I need and I've done this a time or two.
Thank you for the great suggestions yeah i saw a factory carb on rockauto.com by a previous post someone provided that i can get so i was planning on going that route but didnt know about the restting of computer and all that but im sure the mechanic is aware of that.
juanmhiii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:38 PM
  #17  
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,582
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450 GT
Engine: Various
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

I don't think the "mechanic" is fully aware of what's going on in your engine bay. He has the EGR plumbed wrong. I'm very surprised if it passed smog like that.

Being in CA, you had best find someone that is INTIMATELY familiar with the E4ME.

GD
GeneralDisorder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:58 PM
  #18  
Supreme Member
 
gt4373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,958
Car: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 Liter 4-BBL V8 High Output
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Looks Like Someone Embedded This Hose Into The Other One .

gt4373 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:11 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: V8 5.0L
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder View Post
I don't think the "mechanic" is fully aware of what's going on in your engine bay. He has the EGR plumbed wrong. I'm very surprised if it passed smog like that.

Being in CA, you had best find someone that is INTIMATELY familiar with the E4ME.

GD
So it would be more wise to find a more carburetor specialist or someone more familiar with these types of cars?
juanmhiii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:49 PM
  #20  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: V8 5.0L
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by naf View Post
there's some evidence that the 'reliable' mechanic perhaps didn't understand what he was doing.

did it really pass smog like that?
yes it did manage to pass the smog like that
juanmhiii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:09 AM
  #21  
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,582
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450 GT
Engine: Various
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by juanmhiii View Post
So it would be more wise to find a more carburetor specialist or someone more familiar with these types of cars?
Both if possible. A carb specialist may turn up his nose at a computer controlled carb. You need someone familiar with 80's GM CCC carbs. Call around maybe.

GD
GeneralDisorder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:11 PM
  #22  
Supreme Member
 
NoEmissions84TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Meriden, CT 06450
Posts: 1,818
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 4.10 Auburn Posi
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by gt4373 View Post
Looks Like Someone Embedded This Hose Into The Other One .

That is exactly what I thought at first. But looking from the other side, that line is just right up against the sensor.

NoEmissions84TA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:55 PM
  #23  
Member
 
a62belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cambridge, MD
Posts: 136
Car: 88 Firebird, 87 Formula
Engine: 2.8, 5.0
Transmission: both 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42,3.45
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Hell, I'd just get a vacuum advance distributor (Accel for instance) and forgo the computer now. I did this two years ago, and all is good.
a62belair is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:41 AM
  #24  
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,582
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450 GT
Engine: Various
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by a62belair View Post
Hell, I'd just get a vacuum advance distributor (Accel for instance) and forgo the computer now. I did this two years ago, and all is good.
Can't do that in the Soviet Socialist Republic of California. Also even considering it.... or especially googling it... will most certainly give you cancer. In fact according to the laws of California it appears to be impossible to drive the car at all - or even touch the door handle or steering wheel without contracting the Cancer. Seems awfully troublesome to live there.

GD
GeneralDisorder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:01 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
yevgenievich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: college station, texas
Posts: 597
Car: 89 T/A,67 Camaro,92 Stealth
Engine: ls1, 0, 3.0, 5.7 TBI
Transmission: t56, x, 5 speed, 4l80e
Axle/Gears: 3.23 7.6",3.08 8.2", FWD, 14 SF
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

If you still have the original carb that came from the car, it likely can be sent in to be rebuilt.
yevgenievich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:59 AM
  #26  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: V8 5.0L
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder View Post
Can't do that in the Soviet Socialist Republic of California. Also even considering it.... or especially googling it... will most certainly give you cancer. In fact according to the laws of California it appears to be impossible to drive the car at all - or even touch the door handle or steering wheel without contracting the Cancer. Seems awfully troublesome to live there.

GD
so basically im screwed haha
juanmhiii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:44 AM
  #27  
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,582
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450 GT
Engine: Various
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by juanmhiii View Post
so basically im screwed haha
Well..... you need to find someone that can put it back to stock for you. Or close enough to go under the smog inspectors radar. You may want to check the classifieds section of the forum and ebay for a take-off carb or complete manifold, etc that matches what you need and then send it off to be rebuilt.

GD
GeneralDisorder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:05 PM
  #28  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: V8 5.0L
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder View Post
Well..... you need to find someone that can put it back to stock for you. Or close enough to go under the smog inspectors radar. You may want to check the classifieds section of the forum and ebay for a take-off carb or complete manifold, etc that matches what you need and then send it off to be rebuilt.

GD
I plan on getting a new carb and seen two on rockauto.com the only thing is one has open loop without solenoid air horn and the other has a closed loop with a solenoid air horn is that a big integral part of the function because i was just going to go with the open loop one. Thank you.
juanmhiii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:17 AM
  #29  
naf
Supreme Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 4,894
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

you need an E4ME if you want a factory carb replacement

the one you have now is the M4ME, it does not have the mixture control solenoid.
naf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:10 AM
  #30  
Supreme Member
 
gt4373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,958
Car: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 Liter 4-BBL V8 High Output
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Here's A List Of Factory Carbs Used In 1985.


gt4373 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:36 PM
  #31  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 49
Car: 96 Impala 84 berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by juanmhiii View Post
I plan on getting a new carb and seen two on rockauto.com the only thing is one has open loop without solenoid air horn and the other has a closed loop with a solenoid air horn is that a big integral part of the function because i was just going to go with the open loop one. Thank you.
in your engine picture I noticed the distributor is not set in the proper position .. what is the timing and when you adjust the timing can you go advance and retard ? I have done that before on my 1973 Impala .. tricky when you remove distributor and re install back as the gears make it a bit of a PITA...
this is how it should look OEM MY 1984 V8 H..no idiot worked on this since I purchased it in july 1984.




jcat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:03 AM
  #32  
naf
Supreme Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 4,894
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

proper position of the distributor is kinda irrelevant with the wrong carburetor installed and no TPS signal going to the ECM to adjust timing. If it's running as it is, the only timing advance is the built in limp home advance within the ICM.

I'd put off dickering with the distributor until the correct carb is installed and functioning.
naf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:03 PM
  #33  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 10
Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 305 carb.
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

There has to be a carb rebuilder out there. If you are in the LA area what about the Carb shop? They use to rebuild carbs.
foxy 3152 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:07 PM
  #34  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 10
Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 305 carb.
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

I would seriously look into rebuilding your carb. A carb has to be in pretty bad condition(like the body broken) for it not to be rebuild able. With parts readily available this should be a no brainer. Besides you know the one that came off from your car, fits the car. No misalignment of linkage or connections to figure out. Also isn't CA big on original equipment numbers matching equipment for smog tests?
foxy 3152 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:10 AM
  #35  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 49
Car: 96 Impala 84 berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Need help finding a proper carburetor

Originally Posted by juanmhiii View Post
I plan on getting a new carb and seen two on rockauto.com the only thing is one has open loop without solenoid air horn and the other has a closed loop with a solenoid air horn is that a big integral part of the function because i was just going to go with the open loop one. Thank you.
in your engine picture I noticed the distributor is not set in the proper position .. what is the timing and when you adjust the timing can you go advance and retard ? I have done that before on my 1973 Impala .. tricky when you remove distributor and re install back as the gears make it a bit of a PITA...
this is how it should look OEM MY 1984 V8 H..no idiot worked on this since I purchased it in july 1984.





jcat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
86White_T/A305
Suspension and Chassis
0
01-22-2012 07:03 PM
91camarolt1
Carburetors
14
04-20-2011 09:54 PM
IROCJoyce
Carburetors
5
08-11-2009 06:12 PM
TBI305Camaro
Tech / General Engine
1
10-21-2002 11:06 PM
RSpeed
Transmissions and Drivetrain
4
12-29-2001 06:57 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help finding a proper carburetor


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: