Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Engine Not Starting-Problem with the Carb or Distributor/Coil. HOW DO I TELL?

Old 04-25-2019, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1983 Z-28.. Owned since 1985
Engine: LG4 (H) Vin Code
Transmission: 700R4
Engine Not Starting-Problem with the Carb or Distributor/Coil. HOW DO I TELL?

My '83 Z-28, 5.0, LG4, Q-Jet will not start. This is what happens - Engine turns over, but does not fire and start. HEAVY gas smell. Pulled the air cleaner off for a look.
Gas all over carb, dripping Heavily on to the manifold. With the air cleaner still off, tried to restart. Still didn't start, But Gas was Pouring out of the "Idle Air Bleed Valve" area. "Normally" when you get a carb flooded, just wait around 5 to 10 min. then it starts. So.... If the Distributor/Coil is not firing, would that cause the excessive amount of gas pouring out?
What do you guys think, Carb or Dis./Coil ? How would I test for this? I don't want to spend the time and money to have the Q-Jet re-build, when it could be simple like replacing the Distributor/Cable.

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated ! !

Thanks Guys& Gals,
83ZZZ28
Old 04-25-2019, 07:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Engine Not Starting-Problem with the Carb or Distributor/Coil. HOW DO I TELL?

Fix the carb first. It's obviously fornicated. Probably has trash in the needle valve. A distributor problem doesn't make a carb spew fuel out the top.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 408 Likes on 295 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi
Re: Engine Not Starting-Problem with the Carb or Distributor/Coil. HOW DO I TELL?

Originally Posted by 83ZZZ28
Gas all over carb, dripping Heavily on to the manifold. With the air cleaner still off, tried to restart. Still didn't start, But Gas was Pouring out of the "Idle Air Bleed Valve" area. "Normally" when you get a carb flooded, just wait around 5 to 10 min. then it starts. So.... If the Distributor/Coil is not firing, would that cause the excessive amount of gas pouring out?
You're actually lucky the engine didn't start; if it had, you may have lost the entire car in the fire.

Fix the carb.

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
A distributor problem doesn't make a carb spew fuel out the top.
Based on some of the posts here lately, I'm beginning to wonder about that.