Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

carburator questions (extremely long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2000, 03:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
carburator questions (extremely long)

Let's begin with the basics. I have an 83 TA LG4 with computer controlled q-jet. I just rebuilt the carb using 5 different reference sources. All linkage, and choke valve (plate)adjustments have been made using specialized gauges and tools, including unloader angle, fast idle cam angle, choke rod, air valve etc. All hoses are connected properly and not leaking. All new gaskets have been installed. No codes are thrown.
Here we go:
The car starts, idles fast but refuses to "kick down" to curb idle and what appears to be bluish/white smoke exits the exhaust. I am not burning oil because the level hasn't changed at all and the exhaust seems to "clear up" depending on certain fiddling with certain adjustments. So here are some questions? How many steps are on the fast idle cam? I can count 3 steps and 2 rises. Are all three steps used in the warm up process? In other words, does there ever come a time when the fast idle cam is not engaged what so ever or is it simply resting on the third step when the car is fully warmend up.
Also how do I know if the choke is working properly? I removed it from the housing and subjected it to different temperatures measured with a thermometer and went so far as to mark coil spring movement at different temperature ie. 100 deg 130, 160 and 190. The coil actually moves in relation to temperature so I assume it works, but when mounted on the car it doesn't seem to be responding. When temperature moves well over 100 according to the in dash gauge, the choke is not fully opened as it should be. So, I thought there might be to much tension in the choke coil (even though I have the notches in the housing and coil lined up) so I moved it counter clockwise to release tension. When I do that and shut the car off, it won't restart unless I hold the choke closed (as if it needs more tension). Do I simply have to replace the coil????? I have spent way too much time diagnosing this problem. Another question is how exactly does the electric hook up to the coil affect its movement, if its spring movement is determined by the temperature sensitive coil? Is this a sensor to tell the ECM what position the coil (choke valve) is in?
Any and all responses are welcome, appreciated, and desperately needed. Thanks in advance.

------------------
[
  • 1983 T/A LG4 w/T-tops
  • Custom Dual Ram-Air
  • Self painted cherry red w/ restored black/grey interior
  • Welded Comp Eng SFC
  • Tokico Struts/Shocks
  • Hotchkis LCAs and Panhard Bar
  • Energy Suspension bushings all around
Old 10-21-2000, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 84 TA with the LG4 & CC Qjet. It would kick into fast idle and stay there.
What I did was clean the pivot point for the fast idle cam completely, and the shot a tiny bit of lubricant on it. After that, it would kick down once I tapped the gas pedal. It keeps happening occasionally so I'm still not sure what the real problem is if any.
Hope this helps.
Randy

------------------
Randy
84 Trans AM LG4, 700R4 T-tops
1984 Z28 L69, 5 Spd, T-tops
"Don't sweat the petty things...Just pet the sweaty things"