Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Just did an ECM bypass on a CCC Jeep..took 15min.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2001, 08:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did an ECM bypass on a CCC Jeep..took 15min.

That was damn cool. If you have to design a computer controlled carb setup. THAT is the way to do it. It was on an 89 Wrangler with a 4.2 straight 6.

All you had to do was close the idle screws, which fools the ECM into putting the mixture needles to full rich. Then you just unplug them.

They use the exact same distributer they did when it was not computer contolled, vacuum advance and all. They just don't hook the advance canister up to the right port, and stick the ECM inbween the distributer and the ign. module. All you gotta do is cut 2 wires and run them directly the the module instead of the ECM, then hook up the vacuum advance to the right port, and you're done.

Very cool

------------------
"American made baby. 100% American iron. The muscle among the masses. My hero. Yep, you can take your ergonomically designed, space age, computer controlled, 4 door, cup holding map lighted split double wishbone split fold down retractable cargo covered moon roof piece of transportation and keep it. For I have felt the thunder. And I know the difference!"
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports
Old 02-12-2001, 09:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
Booo...So now you have that poor guy running around full rich all the time? Big whoop, you can do that with a Q-junk CCCS without turning any screws, just unplug the MCS. Hell, you could even set the mixture less than full rich by turning the rich stop in. It'd still be a one-mixture-fits all thing though (not good)
And as for retaining a vacuum advance distributor. Well at least us chevy guys can get a vacuum advance dist. for next to free at any junkyard, and it's a no-brain swap.

I'm not impressed...lol
...ed
Old 02-12-2001, 07:45 PM
Supreme Member

Actually the idle mix seesm about perfect with the idle screws locked all the way, and the ECM controlled needles in full rich mode. The CCC Carter needles actually contol the air..not fuel.

He just did a long drive too..and didn't lose any gas mileage....go figure.

------------------
"American made baby. 100% American iron. The muscle among the masses. My hero. Yep, you can take your ergonomically designed, space age, computer controlled, 4 door, cup holding map lighted split double wishbone split fold down retractable cargo covered moon roof piece of transportation and keep it. For I have felt the thunder. And I know the difference!"
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports
Old 02-12-2001, 08:54 PM

That was a great mod, Jester. My Jeep runs faster, idles smoother and is way more responsive now.

To hell with ECMs, I don't know who's the dumb bastard who thought of them in the first place. Those things have no business being anywhere near a carb.