Your Convertibles - Page 20 - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards


Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Your Convertibles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2016, 03:33 PM   #951
Supreme Member
iTrader: (3)
 
PurelyPMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 2,590
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

Re: Your Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ View Post
88,000 is still low..

I had an 87 TPI 305 with 140,000 miles and it still ran and drove like new. I kept it in showroom condition and was meticulous about maintenance.

Those Vette wheels look great on there.. Nice ride!

These cars can get rust bubbles after time and need exterior upkeep and the interior and plastic parts can need replacement/upkeep.. But they are pretty easy to maintain/work on mechanically and pretty reliable cars..

88,000 miles is nothing..
Agreed with all of that! Far better built than their predecessors.
PurelyPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:23 AM   #952
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Dennis-Z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Surrey, BC, Canada
Posts: 309
Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.08

Re: Your Convertibles

Probably going to sell soon if I can bring myself to post it; just not getting any motivation to work on it anymore. Although year after year I just keep holding onto it so who knows...

Had a near ownership experience with 1991 Z28 blue t-top car in 1999 and this was my return to that 'need' (want?) in 2007. Ended up with a convertible because I had a hard time finding the car I wanted. Still sorta wish I held out for a t-top. ...and blue.














Dennis-Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:48 PM   #953
Supreme Member
iTrader: (9)
 
blacksunshine'91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Camarillo, CA
Posts: 1,706
Car: '91 GTA, '92 T/A Convertible
Engine: GTA: 350 w/Vortec heads, T/A: 305
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: GTA: 3.27, T/A: 2.73


My addition to the club

I've always thought the thirdgen convertibles looked super nice. Back in '99 when I decided to move on from my first car (an '88 Formula), I wanted a '91-92 Dark Green Trans Am convertible with a tan interior. I always liked that color combo. In my search, I came across a black on black GTA that was fully loaded for a really good price so I bought it. Over the years I've always admired the convertibles. Well, after 17 years of daily driving my '91 GTA I finally bought a convertible to pair with it. I got a '92 T/A convertible in the color combo I was looking for. I had to have it shipped from Florida to CA, but oh well.

The seats have been recently reupholstered and the top was new as well. I still have a lot of work on nickel and dime gripes to bring it up to my standards, but nonetheless it is in pretty solid shape. Here is my new addition.
blacksunshine'91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #954
Junior Member
 
1991vortech335's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 26
Car: 1991 Convertible Z/28
Engine: Vortech 335 TPI
Transmission: Trans-Go 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Re: Convertibles

Here's my baby! A 1991 Convertible Z/28 with every option available for the convertible that year, plus a lot of extra goodies I've added too!





Quote:
Originally Posted by IEatRice4dinner View Post
how rare are they? i havent seen any in my area...

who's got one...post some pics



586 HP 335 Supercharged Stroker Weeeee!




1991vortech335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #955
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: calgary
Posts: 50
Car: 92 z28 convertible
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 to1

Re: Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991vortech335 View Post
Here's my baby! A 1991 Convertible Z/28 with every option available for the convertible that year, plus a lot of extra goodies I've added too!










586 HP 335 Supercharged Stroker Weeeee!




Beauty car. Same as mine ish. .. mines a 92 same color same package. . I love it. Still running the 305. It runs so good I don't want to change a thing right now
But I am getting a 350 ready at a snails pace to go in her . You must surprise a lot of people at the street lights though!
jaridjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:26 AM   #956
Junior Member
 
1991vortech335's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 26
Car: 1991 Convertible Z/28
Engine: Vortech 335 TPI
Transmission: Trans-Go 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Re: Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaridjohn View Post
Beauty car. Same as mine ish. .. mines a 92 same color same package. . I love it. Still running the 305. It runs so good I don't want to change a thing right now
But I am getting a 350 ready at a snails pace to go in her . You must surprise a lot of people at the street lights though!
Sounds like an equally beautiful car my friend Yes this little Z has had a few fellas scratching their heads wondering what just happened from time to time but most of all it's such a pleasure to drive with the top down on a nice day and pull into the local show and shines and walk around looking at the other "classics" What are you doing to your 350? They are such a good solid motor, the skies the limit! I lowered my car an inch and beefed the suspension some more, had the tranny built with Trans Go, swapped alum driveshaft, 3.42 rear gears full Spohn frame connectors too which really made a huge difference in how solid and tight the car feels. There's a couple more things I would like to pick away at over time but it's not going anywhere and I can pick away at it over the next 25 years I'd love to see pics of yours my friend! There are so many nice cars in this thread and this website! In glad I found it and am part of it now
1991vortech335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:20 AM   #957
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: calgary
Posts: 50
Car: 92 z28 convertible
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 to1

Re: Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991vortech335 View Post
Sounds like an equally beautiful car my friend Yes this little Z has had a few fellas scratching their heads wondering what just happened from time to time but most of all it's such a pleasure to drive with the top down on a nice day and pull into the local show and shines and walk around looking at the other "classics" What are you doing to your 350? They are such a good solid motor, the skies the limit! I lowered my car an inch and beefed the suspension some more, had the tranny built with Trans Go, swapped alum driveshaft, 3.42 rear gears full Spohn frame connectors too which really made a huge difference in how solid and tight the car feels. There's a couple more things I would like to pick away at over time but it's not going anywhere and I can pick away at it over the next 25 years I'd love to see pics of yours my friend! There are so many nice cars in this thread and this website! In glad I found it and am part of it now
My 350 is an 86 vette l98. I'm just doing a simple rebuild. Port and polish . Comp cam 268 . With as&m runners. Do you have a pic of your sub frame connectors ? I couldn't figure out where the small bar fit in...
jaridjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #958
Junior Member
 
1991vortech335's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 26
Car: 1991 Convertible Z/28
Engine: Vortech 335 TPI
Transmission: Trans-Go 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Re: Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaridjohn View Post
My 350 is an 86 vette l98. I'm just doing a simple rebuild. Port and polish . Comp cam 268 . With as&m runners. Do you have a pic of your sub frame connectors ? I couldn't figure out where the small bar fit in...
I will get under her and get a pic for you but I believe the pieces you are referring to go near the front right and left side close to the front of the doors if that makes sense? Can we post a video here? I will try to video it front to back for you on the drivers side so you can see it better. BTW that's a nice rebuild and cam set up!
1991vortech335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #959
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: calgary
Posts: 50
Car: 92 z28 convertible
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 to1

Re: Convertibles


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991vortech335 View Post
I will get under her and get a pic for you but I believe the pieces you are referring to go near the front right and left side close to the front of the doors if that makes sense? Can we post a video here? I will try to video it front to back for you on the drivers side so you can see it better. BTW that's a nice rebuild and cam set up!

This exact one. Passengers side<br/>
jaridjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:00 AM   #960
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Queens
Posts: 1
Car: 90 GTA, 89 GTA Vert
Engine: 383, 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73, 3.27

Re: Your Convertibles

90gta383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:21 AM   #961
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 4

Re: Your Convertibles

Nice
89vertLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #962
Member
 
ctoledo0834's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: miami
Posts: 167
Car: 87 camaro Z28 convertible
Engine: 350 carb
Transmission: th-700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi traction 3.42 gears

Re: Your Convertibles


Here my 87
Attached Thumbnails
Your Convertibles-image.jpeg  

Last edited by ctoledo0834; 09-15-2016 at 09:57 PM.
ctoledo0834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #963
Senior Member
 
Arctic White 91 RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Terre Haute, IN & Gastonia NC
Posts: 561
Car: 91 RS/99 T/A/72 vette
Engine: L03/LS1/Dart400
Transmission: A4/M6/TH400
Axle/Gears: 2.73 / 4.10 /3.08


Re: Your Convertibles

My 91 RS convertible..aka Black Echo




Black Echo as purchased in June of 2014, note bad paint on hood & rear deck.
Arctic White 91 RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:12 PM   #964
Senior Member
 
Arctic White 91 RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Terre Haute, IN & Gastonia NC
Posts: 561
Car: 91 RS/99 T/A/72 vette
Engine: L03/LS1/Dart400
Transmission: A4/M6/TH400
Axle/Gears: 2.73 / 4.10 /3.08


Re: Your Convertibles



September 2014, after I did two wet sandings, compound & buffing with Meguires.
Arctic White 91 RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #965
Senior Member
 
Arctic White 91 RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Terre Haute, IN & Gastonia NC
Posts: 561
Car: 91 RS/99 T/A/72 vette
Engine: L03/LS1/Dart400
Transmission: A4/M6/TH400
Axle/Gears: 2.73 / 4.10 /3.08


Re: Your Convertibles



Black Echo professionally repainted by Andy's Collision & Repair of Terre Haute, Indiana. Andy's painted the 27 of 32 fastest cars in the Wabash valley according to local gearheads and one slow RS Camaro.
Arctic White 91 RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #966
Member
 
ctoledo0834's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: miami
Posts: 167
Car: 87 camaro Z28 convertible
Engine: 350 carb
Transmission: th-700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi traction 3.42 gears

Re: Your Convertibles

Looks nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic White 91 RS View Post


September 2014, after I did two wet sandings, compound & buffing with Meguires.
ctoledo0834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #967
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Albany GA
Posts: 584
Car: '90 RS Vert
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700-R4


Re: Your Convertibles



NEW TOP! I replaced the original top with a buckskin colored top FIFTEEN YEARS AGO! I snapped this pic about a week ago (the car has not been washed). Man, that new top looks GOOD!
Speedgraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:54 AM   #968
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 406
Car: 1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 5.0L 305ci TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual, World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Re: Your Convertibles

Love your vert my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis-Z28 View Post
Probably going to sell soon if I can bring myself to post it; just not getting any motivation to work on it anymore. Although year after year I just keep holding onto it so who knows...

Had a near ownership experience with 1991 Z28 blue t-top car in 1999 and this was my return to that 'need' (want?) in 2007. Ended up with a convertible because I had a hard time finding the car I wanted. Still sorta wish I held out for a t-top. ...and blue.














1992 Trans Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:27 AM   #969
Supreme Member
iTrader: (6)
 
TTOP350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: central Il USA
Posts: 9,189
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt


Re: Your Convertibles

Sorry for the bad picture
TTOP350 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:51 AM   #970
Junior Member
 
5.0 Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1

Re: Your Convertibles

My two Babies


5.0 Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:55 AM   #971
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 406
Car: 1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 5.0L 305ci TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual, World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Re: Your Convertibles

This is very very very sweet sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOP350 View Post
Sorry for the bad picture
1992 Trans Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:08 AM   #972
Junior Member
 
JoshStroud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Reader, WV
Posts: 15
Car: 1988 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 350
Transmission: Standard
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Re: Your Convertibles

here is mine






JoshStroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #973
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Albany GA
Posts: 584
Car: '90 RS Vert
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700-R4


Re: Your Convertibles

VERY NICE! Thanks for sharing!
Speedgraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #974
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 34

Re: Your Convertibles

Here's my baby. she's a 1989..I'm naming her 'Carnage' (Pay no attention to the skull graphic on the hood, that's getting replaced soon lol!!)







elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #975
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Riverside Calif.
Posts: 64


Re: Your Convertibles

Nice looking car. What part of rainy Cal. are you located in?
2mnytys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #976
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 34

Re: Your Convertibles

ha!! I'm in Nor-Cal. Livermore to be exact. I love So-Cal though.
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #977
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 34

Re: Your Convertibles

P.S. Those pics were by the P.o. she clearly needs to be cleaned ;-)
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #978
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1

Re: Your Convertibles

Thought I'd start by introducing my car here. I found the car for sale about 4 years ago and my Dad, now 77, purchased it. We worked on it together, reworked the interior, heater core and a few other odds and ends. Two weeks ago I took over ownership and brought it home to Phoenix. It was originally white and some prior owner had it painted as seen. The paint is in good condition but they just painted the jambs, under lids and engine bay in black. It's just a driver with what appears to be 160K miles on it. It is a TPI with 5 speed, A/C car which is not working. It had not needed emissions where my dad lived and I've since had it fail. Plans are for tune up and reworking of the injectors and see where that brings us. I love driving the car, it really is a wonderful fun car to drive. Look forward to spending time here and getting to know y'all.
Attached Thumbnails
Your Convertibles-img_7791.jpg  
PV Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #979
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 34

Re: Your Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PV Dirk View Post
Thought I'd start by introducing my car here. I found the car for sale about 4 years ago and my Dad, now 77, purchased it. We worked on it together, reworked the interior, heater core and a few other odds and ends. Two weeks ago I took over ownership and brought it home to Phoenix. It was originally white and some prior owner had it painted as seen. The paint is in good condition but they just painted the jambs, under lids and engine bay in black. It's just a driver with what appears to be 160K miles on it. It is a TPI with 5 speed, A/C car which is not working. It had not needed emissions where my dad lived and I've since had it fail. Plans are for tune up and reworking of the injectors and see where that brings us. I love driving the car, it really is a wonderful fun car to drive. Look forward to spending time here and getting to know y'all.
right on... nice to know I'm not the only 'newbie' to a 3rd gen :-)
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[WI] Wanted: Camaro Convertible loud91rs Camaros Wanted 11 03-28-2016 05:13 PM
Some Quack converted my car to a T-Top after it left the factory! Thirdgen89GTA NW Indiana and South Chicago Suburb 4 11-27-2015 12:04 AM
Cable-X Speedometer Signal Converter TMZIrocZ350 Engine/Drivetrain/Suspension Parts for Sale 1 10-07-2015 01:09 PM
Current Firebird Market Poll Report Midwest bjpotter History / Originality 17 10-04-2015 08:48 PM
[FL] Camaro/Firebird Convertible parts tcarlos13 Interior Parts Wanted 0 09-28-2015 07:31 PM


Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards >

Tags
1g1fp31fxhn315115, 89, camaro, camaro34, conv, conversions, convertible, engine, installs, las, liter, pics, ragtops, rs, vegas

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

1982 Camaro '82 || 1983 Camaro '83 || 1984 Camaro '84 || 1985 Camaro '85 || 1986 Camaro '86 || 1987 Camaro '87 || 1988 Camaro '88 || 1989 Camaro '89 || 1990 Camaro '90 || 1991 Camaro '91 || 1992 Camaro '92


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 AM.


All content copyright 1997 - 2014 ThirdGen.org. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without the expressed, documented, and written consent of ThirdGen.org's Administrators. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: