Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

About to rejoin the Third gen club with this beauty!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to rejoin the Third gen club with this beauty!

About to rejoin the Third gen club with this beauty!-redz281.jpg
This will be my new baby soon unless I find a super clean GTA. It is a 48k mile cream puff. The only issues I have found are a hazed up back window (can I get a glass one put in?) and if you look close you can see the ground effect molding on both doors is oxidized. That is strange since I cant find any paint work at all. Please give me some advice as to what I should be looking for. Thanks all!
Old 03-23-2018, 01:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s
Re: About to rejoin the Third gen club with this beauty!

Shes a good looker!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto

You can get a new top with a glass window but cant replace the vinyl in there now. Btw, the glass window is also smaller but much nicer.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

Very Nice!

I found a garage cream puff with 30k miles and the paint was not 100% flawless either.. Its pretty hard to find flawless original paint on a car that old..

Try this stuff on the plastic window. Go over it a bunch of times and you’ll be surprised how clear you can get it.. I’ve heard that the glass windows don’t fold as easy into the tonneau and some people have to put the back seats down..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...&wl13=&veh=sem

Part of the reasons plastic windows on convertibles and Jeeps get hazy is because people use the wrong cleaners on them.. and oxidation of course.. you’re not supposed to use glass cleaner and a lot of people do..

That car looks really sweet!
Old 03-24-2018, 01:08 PM
Supreme Member

You might be able to improve the oxidation with compound, polish and sealant..
Old 03-25-2018, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I think i can polish out the back window but I would like to tint the windows and that is not possible with the plastic back glass. Yankeecarman, can you send me a link to the top with the glass back window?
Old 03-25-2018, 07:12 PM
Supreme Member

Tops on Line is where I bought mine a few years ago. Good people to deal with. I also bought mine with the stayfast top. I am very happy with it. It is also a good time to replace the weather seals and the top pad. My opinion. Hope it helps.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A

RareBMX mentioned he might be selling his red 1989 GTA 5.7L, if you are looking for a GTA instead. Either way, welcome.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by jhawk73
Thanks for the advice guys. I think i can polish out the back window but I would like to tint the windows and that is not possible with the plastic back glass. Yankeecarman, can you send me a link to the top with the glass back window?
Well if you want tint I guess glass it is! Figured you could save a few $$ by polishing the plastic window..

As far as the paint.. If both sides are showing oxidation that’s fairly normal on these for moldings, spoilers, etc.. It would look more fishy if it was only one side..

What I look for in paint is

-Check around moldings, spoilers, emblems for drips. Even if you don’t see a drip look close in between the paint and the emblem/molding. If you see tiny bumps or drip marks it’s probably an area where the molding or emblem was taped off and they couldn’t fix drips in tight spaces. Even decent paint jobs sometimes they don’t remove everything that comes off the body. Also check the windshield gasket for overspray and drips. You also might see sanding marks that got buffed over that reflect from certain angles. Usually near a molding, emblem or contour.

-Look at the paint reflection for inconsistent “orange peel”. If the driver side had noticeable orange peel and the passenger side is a perfect mirror, something’s up

-Look for consistent wear. Even a 15k-50k+ mile used car will have chips, a ding or two, maybe fading on a painted non metal surface that heats to a different temperature in the sun. Oxidation is common if the car wasn’t detailed regularly. These cars usually got spider cracks you can see in sunlight on the nose due to the original paint not having flex additive back then. Even a car that never bumped into anything I’ve seen have fine spider cracks from age, temperature changes, etc..

-Make sure all the factory decals are in place. Even good painters will remove them and paint the door jams and under hood removing the decals. Also look for emblems to be correct and in the correct spot.. so many repaints have the “Tuned Port Injection” emblem in the wrong spot..

-Look at reflections and step back maybe 40 feet and walk around the car and see if there’s any unusual waves in the panels from bondo or PDR.. Usually there are areas that show up in the panels from the factory but they should be uniform on each panel. The front fenders on IROCs all have a line straight down in front of the wheel well you can see from certain angle reflections and there’s usually a dip under the mirror. Inconsistent reflections in the rear third of the car are unusual. Doors can have warped reflections around the handles as well but they would be pretty consistent on both sides.

-I always look at the headlight buckets as well. If they are too glossy it may be a repaint. The factory used a specific flat black for the buckets. Some owners polished the paint because they liked the look of glossy buckets, but if it is a mirror gloss like the rest of the paint, it’s probably not original. Obviously an IROC or Z28 with body color headlight buckets is a repaint.

Sometimes you can get a feeling even in photos on an ad.

I’m not super into original paint per-say.. I believe a meticulous restoration paint job can be superior and raise the value. I also think if a seller is claiming paint is original and asking a premium price it better be very well kept and the real deal.

That Z looks like it could be pretty sweet!

Last edited by 88IROCvertZ; 03-28-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:24 PM
Supreme Member

https://www.topsonline.com/?gclid=Cj...8aAuBaEALw_wcB
Old 03-28-2018, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28 convertible camaro
Engine: 383 superram
Transmission: Level 4 Vigilante 3000
Axle/Gears: 3:42,Torsen, moser axles LPW girdle

Topsonline is where I got mine back in 2007 and it still in mint condition except for the vinyl window that started to fade, even if well maintained! Next time I will take the galss window option for sure... But before I changed the entire roof, I did brought the car to my local window shop and they were able to change my faded vinyl window for a new one, all stitched to look like OEM, and was even offered to replace it with a tinted vinyl! Which I did, but the material wasn't as thick as the original vinyl so it ended up warping after couple years of sun exposure.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ
Well if you want tint I guess glass it is! Figured you could save a few $$ by polishing the plastic window..

As far as the paint.. If both sides are showing oxidation that’s fairly normal on these for moldings, spoilers, etc.. It would look more fishy if it was only one side..

What I look for in paint is

-Check around moldings, spoilers, emblems for drips. Even if you don’t see a drip look close in between the paint and the emblem/molding. If you see tiny bumps or drip marks it’s probably an area where the molding or emblem was taped off and they couldn’t fix drips in tight spaces. Even decent paint jobs sometimes they don’t remove everything that comes off the body. Also check the windshield gasket for overspray and drips. You also might see sanding marks that got buffed over that reflect from certain angles. Usually near a molding, emblem or contour.

-Look at the paint reflection for inconsistent “orange peel”. If the driver side had noticeable orange peel and the passenger side is a perfect mirror, something’s up

-Look for consistent wear. Even a 15k-50k+ mile used car will have chips, a ding or two, maybe fading on a painted non metal surface that heats to a different temperature in the sun. Oxidation is common if the car wasn’t detailed regularly. These cars usually got spider cracks you can see in sunlight on the nose due to the original paint not having flex additive back then. Even a car that never bumped into anything I’ve seen have fine spider cracks from age, temperature changes, etc..

-Make sure all the factory decals are in place. Even good painters will remove them and paint the door jams and under hood removing the decals. Also look for emblems to be correct and in the correct spot.. so many repaints have the “Tuned Port Injection” emblem in the wrong spot..

-Look at reflections and step back maybe 40 feet and walk around the car and see if there’s any unusual waves in the panels from bondo or PDR.. Usually there are areas that show up in the panels from the factory but they should be uniform on each panel. The front fenders on IROCs all have a line straight down in front of the wheel well you can see from certain angle reflections and there’s usually a dip under the mirror. Inconsistent reflections in the rear third of the car are unusual. Doors can have warped reflections around the handles as well but they would be pretty consistent on both sides.

-I always look at the headlight buckets as well. If they are too glossy it may be a repaint. The factory used a specific flat black for the buckets. Some owners polished the paint because they liked the look of glossy buckets, but if it is a mirror gloss like the rest of the paint, it’s probably not original. Obviously an IROC or Z28 with body color headlight buckets is a repaint.

Sometimes you can get a feeling even in photos on an ad.

I’m not super into original paint per-say.. I believe a meticulous restoration paint job can be superior and raise the value. I also think if a seller is claiming paint is original and asking a premium price it better be very well kept and the real deal.

That Z looks like it could be pretty sweet!
Thanks for taking the time to reply!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by 91z28ss
Topsonline is where I got mine back in 2007 and it still in mint condition except for the vinyl window that started to fade, even if well maintained! Next time I will take the galss window option for sure... But before I changed the entire roof, I did brought the car to my local window shop and they were able to change my faded vinyl window for a new one, all stitched to look like OEM, and was even offered to replace it with a tinted vinyl! Which I did, but the material wasn't as thick as the original vinyl so it ended up warping after couple years of sun exposure.
Good idea, I will check for my local shop having a tinted plastic window before I change the entire top.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:07 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by jhawk73
Thanks for taking the time to reply!
Ha ha.. thanks for letting me get the crazy out!

All I do is look at paint, body panels, and reflections on every car I see.. it’s a sickness
Old 04-01-2018, 08:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1991 Corvette
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: D44 3.33 gears

Not sure what kind of shape the rest of the top is in, but if it's still nice you should be able to find someone to replace the window only. I had an 89 Iroc vert years back that had a nice top, but a clouded window. I had a local upholstery shop replace the widow. It came out perfect and IIRC it cost about $250, but that was probably 20 years ago.