Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Convertible Bimini Top

Old 12-16-2018, 08:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn
Convertible Bimini Top

I have been working on this idea and have this prototype in the works. I wanted your guys opinion on this. Is it a good idea? Is it a dumb idea? would you use one?

For the past couple years I have been throwing a towel or 2 over the steering wheel, console and armrest so they don't get 3rd degree burn hot when I park the vert outside in the sun for a short amount of time. I can just imagine leather and how hot it would get. I am either to lazy or I won't be there long enough to put the top up. So one day when I parked net to a Jeep with a Bimini top it gave me an idea.
I made this out of a scrap piece of canvas I had laying around. I would have chose black if I bought it. I taped it to the car and cut the shape with scissors. I then used a soft adhesive backed 2" magnetic strip. I ran it along the windshield frame and then on the trunk lid. I split the magnetic strip in the middle so it can be folded and rolled up for easy storage and it makes it a one man install.. The strip is soft mag that won't hurt the paint, similar to the vehicle magnets your see for service vehicles. I then put the canvas back and stuck it to the exposed adhesive of the mag strip. Now I have the prototype pictured.

I want to try this for a few weeks in the real world and see if it it easy on easy off. You will fold it in 1/2 and roll it up for storage, similar to on of those window sun shields that fold. It is installed by unrolling, attaching the drivers side and just flip the pass side into place. I have only done this a couple times in my garage, I also want to make sure the strip is powerful enough to hold up under some wind. I also have to sew the edges of this.

Give your opinions gents and don't be afraid to tell me if it is a dumb idea or even some constructive criticism. I can take it.

This could also be used as pictured, a dust and dirt cover for storage with the top down.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:16 AM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A
Re: Convertible Bimini Top

Honest feedback?
It's been done, but in a more practical sense. Think, car cover material which extended down to cover the whole windshield and the side glass, too. As pictured, it's not much of a protectant from sun on the dash/steering wheel, and dust/debris can enter the sides.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*

As cheap as $59

https://www.classicindustries.com/sh...re/car-covers/

Old 12-16-2018, 09:58 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA
Yes I have seen these. I almost bought one. IMHO the problem with this is it will take to long to install, you might as well put the top up. You actually have to pop the trunk to secure the back. Might as well just pop the tannau as it is easier than putting the key in the lock.
I am trying to come up with a quick up and down and will have to sacrifice some protection.

Last edited by vinny R; 12-16-2018 at 10:37 AM. Reason: mis pronunciation
Old 12-16-2018, 10:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

I almost bought that, on closeout for $59 but then I read it needed to use the exterior door handles. Scratch that.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Put the top up. It's quick and easy, and it keeps the top from deteriorating in the down position. Win-Win.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Tibo
I almost bought that, on closeout for $59 but then I read it needed to use the exterior door handles. Scratch that.
If I bought that one, I'l put beanbag material and sew into the base of the cowl to weigh it down. I'd also tuck the tonneau cover behind the back seats and not use the door handles. That's my thought on the matter.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird 'vert, 91 Formula
Engine: 5.7, 5.0
Transmission: T56, T5
Axle/Gears: Auburn w/ 3.73's, 3.42

I've had one of these for a few years and love it. Easier than putting top up and down, especially on track days. However, if there was an even easier solution, like one described by OP that was just held on by magnets, I'd be interested as well.

With the CoverCraft (i think that's the brand) the front is held in place by the wipers and there are Velcro straps that wrap around the side mirrors and through the door handles to keep it secure. The back is held in place by weighted tabs that slide under the trunk lid so you do have to open the trunk to slide rear of cover into place. I don't always use the side straps depending on if windy or not.

Having open on the sides as shown in OP picture, dust is still going to get inside and if car is outside, it'll be a constant battle with the wind to keep it on depending on the strength of the magnets used. Just my thoughts. It certainly would be better than nothing and help keep the sun off the interior. I'm curious to know if OP tested it and how it stood up to wind/breeze when outside.

Last edited by Ed1LE; 12-27-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

I don’t think it’s a bad idea..

I almost bought that interior cover since in the summer I don’t put the top up. Car doesn’t go out unless it’s nice cruising weather so the interior gets dustier than I’d like.

Maybe there could be one that works with the windows up to keep the sides covered

I usually put a microfiber that I keep in the console for dusting the interior on the console lid because that thing gets blazing hot in the sun..
Old 12-28-2018, 01:14 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Ed1LE
I've had one of these for a few years and love it. Easier than putting top up and down, especially on track days. However, if there was an even easier solution, like one described by OP that was just held on by magnets, I'd be interested as well.

With the CoverCraft (i think that's the brand) the front is held in place by the wipers and there are Velcro straps that wrap around the side mirrors and through the door handles to keep it secure. The back is held in place by weighted tabs that slide under the trunk lid so you do have to open the trunk to slide rear of cover into place. I don't always use the side straps depending on if windy or not.

Having open on the sides as shown in OP picture, dust is still going to get inside and if car is outside, it'll be a constant battle with the wind to keep it on depending on the strength of the magnets used. Just my thoughts. It certainly would be better than nothing and help keep the sun off the interior. I'm curious to know if OP tested it and how it stood up to wind/breeze when outside.
Thanks for the input guys, the good and the bad! I have been testing this outside for the past week. When I take the car out I have been using it and the preliminary results I think have been good. It has held on in moderate winds so far. 10mph or so. It has been super windy and when I parked it at my buddy's the other day it was blowing 20+ and his garage was blocking the majority of that wind. It did not blow off. I am going to put the magnets to the test this weekend and take it to the beach and use the Bimini. There is no blocking the wind there. I have used it a 1/2 a dozen times now and I am happy with the results thus far. It folds, rolls and unrolls nicely, it is quick to put up and take down. I do think I may need to felt over the soft magnetic. I am not seeing any scratches but the magnetic strips do slide a little when putting the top into place. My R&D has been just my use out in the real world and so far so good. I will post up some more picks and the results of my wind test when done.

This idea I have was never meant to TOTALLY protect against the elements, nor to to make something better that is already out there for sale. It is strictly designed to just keep sun off the interior, and have a quick way to do it, no strapping or latching needed. Quicker than the above product or just simply putting up the top. Like IROC vert said he has to put towel on his console even just for a short time. I would always trow a full size towel over the whole center console to try to keep it cool. That towel would usually blow off if it was windy!

I will see how it works with the windows up. It may just block some wind and keep some dirt out.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:21 AM
Supreme Member

Hi all, I have been super swamped at work so i finally got a chance to update my project.
1st, IMHO it works great! It will blow off if the wind gets about 15mph . It did not blow completely off it just blew the back magnetic hold down off and the back of the bimini fell into the rear seat. I am looking into more powerful magnetics.

So I decided to try it with the windows up. Problem solved! Wow, I could not believe the results, The pattern I made have those side "wings" at the front windsheid pillar. The window pinches the bimini and locks it in place. The windows cover the large side opening leaving just a small air gap in the rear, It Works like a charm!. It did not blow off at all! I even used my leaf blower and unless I stuck it into that small open area it stayed on! It stayed on all day in 20+ mph winds, no matter where I parked. IMHO it even looks pretty slick just sitting there.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 223 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0

wouldn't the time it takes to install that be the same as just putting the top up ??
Old 01-19-2019, 08:34 AM
Supreme Member

As you can see this also should keep the dirt out.
As far as the ease of using the bimini it is just a breeze. I found that after you roll it up you simply pull down one rear seat and it stores nicely with your convertible top! You can even just lay it down in that compartment and the top just folds down on it. This to me is a big plus as if you want to show the car you have a out of the way storage so it is not seen.

This is how I do the install/removal 1/2 goes up/down 1st

Start/finish with 1/4 attached to the back drivers side.

From there roll the magnetic side up so the magnetcs are covered by the canvas so the mags do not get dirty

From there simply stow it away!
Old 01-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Supreme Member

At this point I want to dial in a couple issues, stronger magnetics, felt to cover the magnetics, black material and make my pattern nicer and even on both sides and a professional hem.
I am going to go to a Canvas shop customer of mine and have him make the top and I will update you guys on the final product.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:46 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by BizJetTech
wouldn't the time it takes to install that be the same as just putting the top up ??
No, this takes about 1/2 the time and IMHO is much easier. Also If you are having troubles with your tanau switch, as alot of us have or had, it takes alot longer to put up the top using the manual cables.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird 'vert, 91 Formula
Engine: 5.7, 5.0
Transmission: T56, T5
Axle/Gears: Auburn w/ 3.73's, 3.42

Success! That looks easier than the previously mentioned CoverCraft cover I have. And less bulky. Well done!