Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

--common cooling questions (READ BEFORE POSTING or your post WILL be deleted!!!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: --common cooling questions (READ BEFORE POSTING or your post WILL be deleted!!!!!

I have a 91 Camaro 3.1 MPFI V6, and I bought it for $450 from a high school buddy, and I've done lots of work to it, new Starter, Distributor (Re-manufactured), new cap and rotor button, new fuel pump, injectors (used), fuel rail (used), fuel filter, front brake system, R+L front wheel bearings, cleaned throttle body, V8 radiator because of over-heating (radiator from 350/used part), new performance plugs, new bosch plug wires, new thermostat (opens @ 195*), 1000 CCA Battery and other various parts. I have a few questions and would really appreciate responses. First the speedometer only sometimes works, why? Second, the the tach reads almost max at idle (500 RPM below MAX 7000RPM) until throttle is barely pressed and then Gauge maxes out, possibly warped? why? Third, since the temperature outside has dropped (Live in Ky 30*) the Temp. Gauge will not exceed 160* or so, whereas the car was running around 190-220 during summer-time. It runs great, does great on gas, has lots of power but it seems like it only runs good when engine's cold. Once heated up, it tugs and tries to lurch forward at stop-lights, will die when shifting from Park to Reverse or O/D and Drive and tries to die when at a low idle RPM sometimes. This car is like a high maintenance chick! She treats me well but is sometimes a BITCH! Please HELP!!!
Old 06-16-2016, 08:46 PM

Car: 1984 Trans-am
Re: --common cooling questions (READ BEFORE POSTING or your post WILL be deleted!!!!!

Hey whats up all my third gen owner brother,I got my 1984 trans-am 305 i switched the fan set up from the stock v-belt set up to a 88 stock dual electric fan setup straight switches to turn them on , one switch for each fan ,coolant need to be flush so this weekend going to do a massive over haul on the coolant system flush, fill with new coolant i,m think cause it only my summer ride going to do a 60/40 ratio of coolant to water plus add a full bottle of water weeter as well new thermostat and also a new upper and lower rad hose as the upper blew so gonna be safe then sorry and replace them both now only problem i have is the one fan (the one toward the passenger side ) crapped out so i would like to go with a single after market fan and again just set it up to a simple toggle switch my question is what size fan should i buy and just so i can get a opinion what brand in which i can run all then time and shut off when i want i.e when i shut the car off and then turn it back on when the car is 85 percent heated up thank you for your replies and support
Old 06-30-2017, 09:19 PM

K I have a question for someone to help me I have a 1994 firebird and I replaced the radiator,heater core,the thermostat.. and last year I replaced the water pump but I also got all new seals n gaskets done at a shop and yes the water pump has a new gasket also but what can be makeing my car over heat still?

Please help
Old 07-02-2017, 12:36 PM

Could be that your coolant overflow tank has a leak and emptying out. Make sure that's full all the time.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Iroc Z
Engine: 5.0 305 TPI
Transmission: Factory
Axle/Gears: Factory

I have a 1988 IROC Z (all original) and whoever owned the car prior to me cut into the main wiring harness on my passenger side that runs to my fan relays. There is an orange wire with an inline fuse disconnected hanging from the harness. When I touched it to the positive post on my battery (to check my fans) both fans started running but the wire got hot instantly. Does anyone know where this wire connects? The dual fans run when you touch the battery post but shut off when disconnected. Any help would be greatly appreciated. P.S. This is my first V8 and clueless to wiring.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I would like to add one bit of critical wisdom that I learned the long, hard, painful, frustrating, expensive way and I have the "help" threads I created to prove it. GET THE LOWER RADIATOR HOSE WITH THE SPRING. Just get it.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 614 Likes on 463 Posts
Car: '83 Firebird (T/A Clone)
Engine: 350 carbed with L-69 components
Transmission: 700R-4 w/2000 RPM stall converter
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt/3.73 Let's Go Brandon

Originally Posted by Tootie Pang
I would like to add one bit of critical wisdom that I learned the long, hard, painful, frustrating, expensive way and I have the "help" threads I created to prove it. GET THE LOWER RADIATOR HOSE WITH THE SPRING. Just get it.
Where?...
Old 10-26-2021, 11:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I had to buy the spring from an aftermarket place and install it myself. I did not look for a new hose with spring - yet. It was a bit of a PITA to get the spring in and on our cars the lower hose is a buit longer than the spring I bought so I stretched the spring just a bit to covert the whole length.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:05 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 89 RS Gunmetal Gray
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

My car is an 1989 TBI single radiator fan. Does anyone know what the stock single radiator fan amp draw is? I've looked and can't find it. I'm planning to swap the stock single 650 CFM fan with a 3000 CFM fan that draws 18 amps. Am I going to be frying relays and blowing fuses?