Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Cooling system upgrade... need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling system upgrade... need advice

I know this may sound crazy, but I plan on using my t/a to tow a Uhaul trailer across the country (it's either that or sell the car). It has a SBC, so I figured it already has more power than most RV and Truck engines.

Of course, the first obvious concern is the cooling system. I plan on installing 2 of these for the oil (via sandwich adaptor) and ATF. I was considering trying to mount them on each side of the radiator, and building a custom air dam to force air through the whole rig, but I don't know how practical that is.

I also plan to flush the coolant, oil, and ATF and replace with syntetic oils and 50/50 coolant/water with a bottle of Water Wetter. Also, I am going to replace the thermostat with a JET 170 degree (with drilled holes to eliminate hot spots), and new radiator hoses.

I was also wondering if anyone has any experience with a water pump impeller disc. The description says that it can increase water flow by 30%, but you never know whether not it'll do any good.

So... do you think this setup would keep everything running cool while pulling a trailer down a highway for several hours a day?
Old 07-22-2003, 11:04 AM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: New 700r4 Done by 11/14/07!
Actually, I think it may be a little overkill unless you've already got some cooling issues. With a good air dam you shouldn't have too much trouble cruising the highways. I'll I'd worry about is the clutch fan you have while in the cities. You do have a clutch fan don't you? I think a tranny and oil cooler are a worthwhile investment in the first place, and they may help you out in the long run. A tranny cooler will certainly extend the life of your transmission. As for the air dam you want to fabricate, it doesn't actually force air up into the system as I'm told. It creates a low pressure area beind the dam that sucks the air from in front of the radiator, through, and out the back. I've never used an impeller disc, so I can't really give you an opinion on it.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:24 PM

well... I'm going to have a chance to work on the cooling system tomorrow, since I need to drain the coolant in order to replace a broken lifter.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:23 AM

Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: 5.7 / 350 cuid
Transmission: 700R4
Seems like you got all the cooling issues under control. What about your tranny? is it in good shape? If it;s got high miles, you may consider a tranny cooler. You can get one off an old Chevy 2500 for next to nothing. If the tranny has been rebuilt and is in good working order, I wouldn;t worry about it. I'm about to start using my IROC to pull my Harley and that was a suggestion from a guy in my area.