Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

New to GM, and trying to figure out my A/C trouble...please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to GM, and trying to figure out my A/C trouble...please help

Hi, I am new here and really enjoying reading all the info here. Also, I am new to owning a Chevy, I am 36 and I have never owned a Chevy til now. I bought an 87 IROC 5.7 litre last week and so far I love the car. The only problem that is troubling me is the A/C. Here are the details, the passenger side fan on the radiator (which from what I have read is the A/C fan) it never comes on....not even when I turn the A/C on. The A/C works when I am driving and the temp stays somewhat cool, but when I stop in traffic and the cars temp starts to rise, the A/C blows warmer. I have watched the A/C compressor with the hood up and I have noticed that right before the compressor kicks OFF, when the pressure builds up, the belt looks like it is going to come off the compressor. But the belt is tight!!!!!!
The A/C probably needs some freon, but first I need to find out why the fan is not running. I have replaced the relay and it didn't help, I can unplug the relay and jumper across the wires and get the fan to run, but it doesn't come on by itself.
Any ideas??????
Old 07-05-2004, 09:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 305 Tbi (L03)
Transmission: 700r4
Im not really familiar with the dual fan setup but i would make sure your getting power and ground to the relay on the control side when the hvac switch is turned to ac. The compresser approaching lockup could be caused by the fan not turning on. I would fix the fan first and hopefully thatll fix the compresser.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 IROC CAMARO
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
Like dankhound said check for power and if you have power check for burnt terminals in the relay. Seen that a few times, have 12 volts at the fan but as soon as there is a load the relay goes open, also tap the fan motor LIGHTLY with the but end of a prybar or hammer and see if the armature is binding, I know that is sounds dumb but it works sometimes