Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Manual Override Fan ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 one wheel peel
Manual Override Fan ??

Alright, I am sure this has been covered somewhere else, but when I searched I found way more info than I needed for this question.

What I want to do, is put a toggle switch somewhere on my shift plate, and if I turn that on any time at any temp, I want the fan to turn on. However, I also want to be able to have the fan turn on normally just as it does. So if it is already on, and I turn the switch on, it would just stay on. If I turn the switch off, and the car is still too hot, I want the fan to be able to stay on just as long as necessary (like it does now).

Is this possibe (alright I know anything is possible)?? So, would this be a pretty simple mod? It not a huge deal, but if it was just a few wires and some quick connects, then I would do it.

The reason I want this, is because I have a 180* t-stat. Normally, just driving around, it stays right at 180. But if I am idling for a while, or in traffic, or at the drive-thru, it goes up to 220 before the fan kicks on. So, it would be nice to be able to toggle on the fan as I am pulling into mcdonalds, or as I hit traffic. Because, when the car get up towards 220, it is a total dog. And it knock alot more too lol.
----------
oh and also, the reason I want it to retain stock functionality, is because I might forget to turn the switch on or something, and I wouldnt want to fry the motor if I leave it idling while I am away from the car or something.

Last edited by slow_90firebird; 04-19-2008 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-20-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 one wheel peel
Re: Manual Override Fan ??

bump?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-Bolt LSD

i don't have a manual in front of me so i cant give u colors but u just run a wire off of the fan relay (in case u didn't know its one of the two on the firewall on the driver side) and you tap onto the trigger wire for the relay (thats where my lack of manual in front of me gets in your way) and just run that wire to one side of your switch and run the other side to a ground so when you close the loop it shoots a ground to the relay thus energizing the relay and closing the circuit on the fan and viola , and since u just tapped onto the trigger wire all the stock fan switches still work, if you wanted to be fancy you could diode your new switch but that would be unnecessary.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 383 TPIS Mini Ram
Transmission: D&D Perf Viper/GM T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.73's Eaton Posi

Are you people on drugs?! Wiring diagrams? Difficult mods?! Your a "Senior" member with over 1,300 posts... Its as easy as taking the wire from your fan switch located on your head, soddering a long enough piece of wire to bring it into the passenger compartment for its final mounting position. After you get the wire to where you want it to go, buy a toggle switch with just a pos and neg, connect the wire that you just elongated to the pos, and a new piece of wire to a bare screw, in yor case under the console. PRESTO! you've completed the circut and the fans go on, it literally took me longer to heat up the soddering iron than to complete the entire wiring job, hoped that helped. I'm located in Westford Mass, so if you want me to do it bring it to my house and I'll do it for ya! I wasn't makin' fun of you, but I would just figure that a senior member would have no issue with such an easy mod....pvt me if you need any help