Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

OVERHEATING ISSUE S.O.S PLEASE HELP A ROOKIE PROFESSIONALS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OVERHEATING ISSUE S.O.S PLEASE HELP A ROOKIE PROFESSIONALS!!!

My 92 camaro rs. 305 overheats after 15mins of driving. The coolant literally boiled out of the overflow tank. I noticed that it was spewing out of two disconnected hose connectors on my radiator. I have no heat obviously with no heater hoses coming from the heater core. I have no A/C, but i use my t-tops so that not a problem. I have included pictures to show you what we're dealing with. I believe this setup is extremely dangerous and more than likely the reason why im overheating, however correct me if im wrong again i am a newbie. What is my quickest alternative and cheapest way out of this situation, can i bypass the heater core all together and what parts will i need to buy? Thank you for your help in advance fellow chevyians!

p.s that little open hole i circled there what can i buy in place of the crankcase ventilation tube that was once there, keep in mind i bought this car the way it is, i have all new gaskets cleaned out the sludge and the 700r4 shifts amazingly, this car gets sideways when i hit the gas, but overheats like yokozuna playing basketball, lol jokes have to supress anger thanks again guys.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Berlinetta
Engine: Megasquirted TPI
Transmission: Transgo 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: OVERHEATING ISSUE S.O.S PLEASE HELP A ROOKIE PROFESSIONALS!!!

Some bigger pictures would help.

What is the coolant level in the radiator like?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 AM

Car: 92 Camaro Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9"

Yea pics are a bit small. You can take the two heater hoses that come off the engine and connect them together with a fitting to bypass the heater core. It is pretty commonly done when a heater core is leaking and the owner does not want to replace it. Some quick checks for you:
1-coolant level, if it is leaking you must find the leak and repair it, fill up the coolant and bleed the system
2-fan operation, verify both fans are in working order
3-coolant flow, verify thermostat operation and radiator has good flow, and water pump is ok (radiator should feel warm to hot at all areas, if there is a cold spot you may have a clog. tstat must be removed to be properly tested, but swollen rad hoses or 1 hot hose 1 cold hose may be a clue)
4-head gasket (verfiy that you have not damaged the head gasket by overheating the engine)
hope this helps a bit
Old 07-03-2008, 11:30 AM

oh and check the rad cap as well. if it is not working correctly the boiling point will lower. or the coolant will leak or flow into the res etc.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

In one picture it looks like you circled the fittings coming from your disconnected AC condensor. Some closer pictures might help us figure out your hose routing situation.

In addition to everything above, start the car cold and warm it up with the radiator cap off. Watch the level and add as needed. This is usually the best way to add coolant, because it gets the airbubbles in the hoses. When the fluid starts rising on its own and overflowing, put the cap back on.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:57 PM

First off thanks for the quick reply guys. Second I have not 1 heater hose, lol again i bought this car like this, great engine just missing a few pieces. Ok i am posting links to bigger pictures of the pics posted at the top, I have only 1 electric fan on my radiator, mine didnt come with 2 and again the two hose connectors i circled coming from the radiator is where most of the leak occurs, i guess all that has to do with my overflow tank boiling. here are the links, should be able to just click and here you can see much larger pics of problem.

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n...lla31/hos1.jpg

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n...lla31/hos2.jpg

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n...lla31/hos3.jpg

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n...lla31/hos4.jpg

does anyone have the part numbers i need for what im missing, you all are of great help god bless you!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Supreme Member

Hose 2 and hose three are actually the AC system, not the radiator.

Your ac system is disconnected. Normally the hoses in hose 3 would go the the heater box and the compressor (in pic two)

Does your gauge work?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:14 PM

Car: 1984 firebird
Engine: 2.8 v6
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: soon: A working car.

The heater core Is really easy to bypass, heat is nice in the winter though.

The coolant has been flushed or is actually "coolant" and not worn out crap?

Also, if those "disconnected hose connectors" have threads on them, like something screws on. That means they're a/c lines, that would be just crap that worked its way into them?

Well to make my post worth something, I tried a quick google search for the hose connector. Didn't find it. On my car I used a piece of copper pipe and hose fittings, not the best idea, can come d/ced or something.

Edit: Sorry, two people posted while I was typing some of this is irrelevant now.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:22 PM

ditto to toehead. pic 1 is your heater core hardlines which are hoseless
pic 2 is your ac compressor block
pic 3 has your ac lines circles
pic 4 looks like the lack of a.i.r injection for your exhuast and a missing pcv valve in the valve cover

she needs help.
your ac lines will not affect your overheating. id like to see how the heater core was bypassed. your heater hoses are somewhere and probably already coupled. also perform your cooling system checks and as toehead said verify guage operation.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:38 PM

nope you guys guessed it, my gauge does not work, but i wonder why my coolant was spewing out of the two treaded connectors, if they are a/c lines? if my coolant needs to be flushed would that cause boiling in the overflow tank and overheating, plus cause coolant to shoot out of the threaded a/c connectors?
Old 07-03-2008, 06:04 PM

maybe it was just brown gunk water. the a/c condenser thing w/e looks like a radiator and mounts infront of it "more towards the front of the car" Its completely seperate. The trans coolr IS part of the radiator but is seperate tubes that run through the rad. they are the smaller threaded fittings, don't touch them.

Yes to the boiling thing, the overflow is exactly that, it provides a place for the coolant to overflow and when water boils it takes more space and needs a place to go, since its poison it can't flow onto the ground plus that would make it require more filling.

If your coolant isn't green "or blue" anymore IT needs replaced. almost every fluid AND grease fittings need maint. if you havent done it. guarentee the trans needs flushed and the diff. needs fluid change. they're always ignored. and the grease fittings only get grease when something gets replaced, they need it more than that. Flushing the coolant is a PITA and will cost you $$$ if you have someone do it, i am doing it myself and will pay for disposal when my container is full. I have a yellow 5gal petro can "plastic"

Honestly if you don't use the a/c because it was ignored and didn't get maint. so was probably empty and they d/ced the lines You should look into removing it. its just a matter of unbolting and can be done in 20minutes. will save you some lb's as well. less lb = more go and mpg. "personally gas keeps going up, i'm going on a diet and taking everything out of the car. Nj usa $4.01 for regular."
Old 07-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Supreme Member

I made mine into a tranny cooler

When you first start the car, how are the radiator hoses? Firm?

The top hose should be fire, until the thermostat opens at which point you can squeeze it.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:29 AM

the car has a tranny cooler, you made it into a much larger one i assume?

the T5 has no cooler. dunno why.