Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

cooling switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: 350 Tune port
Transmission: 700r4,2500 stall
cooling switch

Well the other day my cooling fans stopped workin idk why or how the hell it happened so i just wired up the two fans to run of a switch on the inside and i wanna know if there is anything wrong with doing that anyone got any ideas or sugestions thanks
Old 10-10-2008, 03:29 AM

Re: cooling switch

What I have read on here from others and it makes sense to me is if you leave them on all the time you could wear them out faster. And they are not that cheap to replace. I just chased a simular ghost around in my car. I ended up changing the Coolant Temp sending unit that goes to the gauge. Then the Temp Sensor and finally the Coolant Fan Switch that tells the fan to kick on. Each costing $5 to $10 to buy. Finally got the car working correctly. Seems to me that is better than leaving it on all the time and risk a larger pay out to replace fan or fans. Good luck bro.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:25 AM

Car: 87 GTA
Engine: 350 Tune port
Transmission: 700r4,2500 stall
Re: cooling switch

Originally Posted by IROCben
What I have read on here from others and it makes sense to me is if you leave them on all the time you could wear them out faster. And they are not that cheap to replace. I just chased a simular ghost around in my car. I ended up changing the Coolant Temp sending unit that goes to the gauge. Then the Temp Sensor and finally the Coolant Fan Switch that tells the fan to kick on. Each costing $5 to $10 to buy. Finally got the car working correctly. Seems to me that is better than leaving it on all the time and risk a larger pay out to replace fan or fans. Good luck bro.
see the thing is they were wired in hot as soon as i had the key on and i looked in a wiring diagram and it showed if you wire up a ground from a relay that it would do that but when i took off that ground it didnt do a thing and its a mess of wires lol and i would rather spend a couple of bucks then a couple of hundred on new fans you have any idea what i could do about that or would i just be better off re wiring the whole thing over from the ecu to the switches and so on ? thanks for the help in advance