Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Heater Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI (for now)
Transmission: 700-R4 (for now)
Axle/Gears: 2.73 10 bolt (for now)
Heater Problems

Alright, first thing's first. The car is a 1990 Trans Am with stock A/C, 305 TPI and a 700R4 automatic. I'm still fighting the gremlins the previous owner left in the wiring. The car runs beautifully but some things just either don't work right or don't work at all. I've already begun pulling out my A/C because I don't want it. I would offer pieces to sell but unfortunately some of lines broke when I was pulling them. Anyway, on to the question. I'm trying to get my blower motor to work so I can have a defroster. There is a burnt connector above the heater box that has three wires going in and four coming out. I unplugged it but when check for power at the motor itself the purple wire is getting 12 volts and I get continuity from the black wire to a good ground. My wife assured me that the heater was working and of course I believe her because she isn't the typical "don't-want-to-get-dirty" wife. Hell, she's put more time into the car than I have if you want me to be honest. I don't doubt her judgement, what I do doubt is my wiring. I know it's all jacked but but I need some ideas here. Would it be a good idea to just wire in a manual on/off switch to the motor and see what happens? If I do this what guage wire should I use? How much amperage is that going to pull and how much of a strain would that be on the switch and wires?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:55 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: Heater Problems

Originally Posted by SovereignDragon
on to the question. I'm trying to get my blower motor to work so I can have a defroster. There is a burnt connector above the heater box that has three wires going in and four coming out. I unplugged it but when check for power at the motor itself the purple wire is getting 12 volts and I get continuity from the black wire to a good ground. My wife assured me that the heater was working ... I do doubt is my wiring. I know it's all jacked but but I need some ideas here.
Maybe you'll find something that will be helpful in the following from Sofakingdom:

"Go to the blower motor; locate a large fat purple wire. Trace it to its end. That will be a small box with a plug with that purple wire, a big fat red one, and a couple of smaller ones in it. That's the relay. Leave it alone for the time being, probably nothing wrong with it. Follow the large red wire. It will run toward the driver's side, just under the lip of the windshield cowl. About right above the pass side valve cover, you will come to a connector of unbelievably stupid design (it uses the PLASTIC of the connector body to maintain contact tension ). Unplug it. If it doesn't crmuble to dust in the process, you will observe that it is burnt to ashes. Replace it with a pair of the BIG FAT HEAVY-DUTY yellow slide terminals, preferably insulated. Not, the regular little weenie slide terminals that are just like the red and blue ones except they're yellow; the BIG FAT HEAVY-DUTY ones.

The relay is probably fine. They hardly ever go bad. The connector burns up though, in EVERY SINGLE CAR, sooner or later (usually sooner). Every GM car I or any members of my family have or have ever had, that was equipped with that connector, it burned up. That's probably 50 cars total so far, to exactly ZERO that have survived."

This link also might be useful:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...ight=connector

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 12-30-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI (for now)
Transmission: 700-R4 (for now)
Axle/Gears: 2.73 10 bolt (for now)
Re: Heater Problems

Sounds like I've got some wire chasing to do right after I get done making breakfast. Appreciate it, I'll post back up how that goes.