Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Coolant temperature Sender?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:20 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: Coolant temperature Sender?

The one below sure looks like:

http://www.repairconnector.com/produ...Connector.html

BTW, how does the OE release?

JamesC
Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44

That's it. Interesting though, I never found it in a Pico catalog.

There's no release, they just slide off.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

To keep current, the connector I've linked to above is a perfect fit (I actually only used the insulator as I wasn't too keen on snipping the wiring unnecessarily).

JamesC
Old 10-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Originally Posted by JamesC
I actually only used the insulator as I wasn't too keen on snipping the wiring unnecessarily
I also handle broken plastic connectors in the same manner. Push the pins out of both the old connector and the new one. Then use only the plastic housing and the weather seals off of the new connector and seat the old pins into it.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 RS
Engine: a slow one
Transmission: a crunchy one
Axle/Gears: a whiny one

oops, wrong quick reply box
Old 02-15-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I saw this thread and figured you guys may be able to help. My Temp Gauge is pegged at the bottom, and every now and then after the car warms up the temp gauge will rise ever so slightly over the bottom mark( 100 degress I think). The engine is a 2.8 v6 sitting in an 88 camaro, I think I found the coolant sending unit(dark green wire, front of driver side head). Would the unit be causing it to peg at nothing? Or does that mean I have a short somewhere.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:03 PM

Car: 1988 Iroc-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Originally Posted by irocz1985
hey, i finally fixed my temp gauge. i cut the dark green wire behind my instrument panel and ran a fresh wire straight from my coolant temp sender to the cut wire. works just like it did in 1985!!! thanks alot for all your knowledge. by pointing me to the instrument panel i was able to locate the wiring, when all this time i was thinking it wired to the ecm.thanks alot chevy86iroc-z!!!!
Thinking I may have to do this. My temp gauge is pegged when I try to turn on my car. I took off the plastic to reset the gauge and I bought a new temp sender and it still does the same thing so I'm thinking it's the wire. I tried following the green wire to see if the wire was burnt or torn but when looking from beneath the car it went up into a rats nest of wires and I couldn't tell where it went to after that. Do you have a picture of where that green wire was behind the instrument panel that you cut?
Old 11-23-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am

Anyone know of another source for the connector. Repairconnector.com doesn't ship to me in Canada.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am

Found just the plastic clip that I needed on Amazon. ACDelco 6288704 is the part if anybody else needs just the plastic clip.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:46 PM
Want a title? Post!

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 305HO 4bbl
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Factory

I've been reading this forum for a while, and thought it a good time to join. I greatly appreciate all the how to's I've read.
I want to share the following, as it my shed some darkness on some of the crazy problems with the F body.
I have a 1985 Trans Am with a 305HO 4bbl, 5-speed. Last year, I pulled it out after five years of storage. I was greeted with a check engine light. Being later in the year, I left it for this spring. Checked the fault codes, and got a 1-5, and a 2-4. Started driving it to burn some old gas out, and found the fuel gauge wasn't moving either. Stuck on full. The speed sensor had me concerned, as I had replaced dash bulbs last year, and thought I may have messed up somehow. The fuel sender scared me, as I didn't want to drop the axle.
I went after the easiest fault, the temp sensor. I replaced it, and to my surprise, the speed sensor code went away, and the fuel gauge started working again.
I have no idea how this works, but in the end, it doesn't matter. I hope this may shed a little light on someone's problem.​​​​​
​​
Old 08-22-2022, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by irocz1985
hey, i finally fixed my temp gauge. i cut the dark green wire behind my instrument panel and ran a fresh wire straight from my coolant temp sender to the cut wire. works just like it did in 1985!!! thanks alot for all your knowledge. by pointing me to the instrument panel i was able to locate the wiring, when all this time i was thinking it wired to the ecm.thanks alot chevy86iroc-z!!!!

Hey is this safe to do?
Old 08-22-2022, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 614 Likes on 463 Posts
Car: '83 Firebird (T/A Clone)
Engine: 350 carbed with L-69 components
Transmission: 700R-4 w/2000 RPM stall converter
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt/3.73 Let's Go Brandon

Originally Posted by Dylan Pfeiffer
Hey is this safe to do?
Why wouldn't it be?...
Old 09-07-2022, 02:54 PM

Hey so I'm a little confused because mine has two dark green wires going into terminal 7 behind the instrument panel. Which one did you cut?
Old 09-07-2022, 02:55 PM

I don't I guess not having a fuse?
Old 04-14-2023, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward
They are all single wire - the sensor is a thermistor, meaning that it's resistance changes with temperature. The hotter the temperature, the lower the resistance. The reason it's a single wire, is because it is wired in series with the gauge ground wire. The positive wire to the gauge has 12V ignition switched. As temperature increases, the sender allows more current to ground to the engine block, moving the gauge needle up. It's also why shorting out the sender wire (no resistance) causes the gauge to peg on full hot. Pretty much all temperature gauges work this way, and have for at least the last 50 years.

The CTS, which is used by the ECM to measure temperature, is also a thermistor. However, it has 2 wires, which both go to the ECM. This is so that the ECM can directly measure the resistance across the wires, by sending 5 volts through one wire, and measuring the voltage that comes back. The higher the voltage, the higher the temp.
So the green wire goes to the sender and there's a wire for 12v power what is the black wire fori assume it's ground?
Old 04-14-2023, 04:38 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

I don't know where this "black wire" ever came up in discussion?

The temp gauge has two circuits with two grounds. One ground is inside the interior of the car. Other ground is the temp sender on the engine. Wires in the gauge circuit are:

1. Pink with Black stripe: +12V power supply from the fuse panel under the dash to the gauge.
  2. Black: Ground for the gauge itself. This is grounded to the car somewhere inside the interior, maybe near the steering column.
  3. Dark Green: The actual wire that goes to the coolant temp sender on the engine. Only 1 wire is needed to the sender because the sender is electrically grounded by contact to the engine block. In other words, the body of the sender itself is the "ground wire" so you don't need (and won't see) a separate ground wire leaving the sender.

That's it. That's all there is.

As far as how it works... The temp gauge swings up or down based on how much current is passing through it. And the coolant temp sender is basically a variable resistor that changes the amount of current allowed to pass through the gauge dependent on temperature. There is no "signal" or "number" being sent back to the gauge, or any other kind of data processing happening. The gauge is literally just swinging up and down according to how much electrical current is passing through the Dark Green wire to the sender. Get that out of balance and the gauge stops working right.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 04-14-2023 at 04:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
T.L. (04-16-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I don't know where this "black wire" ever came up in discussion?

The temp gauge has two circuits with two grounds. One ground is inside the interior of the car. Other ground is the temp sender on the engine. Wires in the gauge circuit are:
  1. Pink with Black stripe: +12V power supply from the fuse panel under the dash to the gauge.
  2. Black: Ground for the gauge itself. This is grounded to the car somewhere inside the interior, maybe near the steering column.
  3. Dark Green: The actual wire that goes to the coolant temp sender on the engine. Only 1 wire is needed to the sender because the sender is electrically grounded by contact to the engine block. In other words, the body of the sender itself is the "ground wire" so you don't need (and won't see) a separate ground wire leaving the sender.

That's it. That's all there is.

As far as how it works... The temp gauge swings up or down based on how much current is passing through it. And the coolant temp sender is basically a variable resistor that changes the amount of current allowed to pass through the gauge dependent on temperature. There is no "signal" or "number" being sent back to the gauge, or any other kind of data processing happening. The gauge is literally just swinging up and down according to how much electrical current is passing through the Dark Green wire to the sender. Get that out of balance and the gauge stops working right.
ok I've rung all the wires out and I have 12 volt power and both wires seem to be good when I ring them out using a meter but I bought the car with no motor and I'm trying to determine where everything hooks up
I've hooked everything up as you said black to ground and green to temp sender and still doesn't work just pegs at start I even tried another sender no luck
Old 04-14-2023, 05:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Pegs at start = it's supposed to do that; it mimics the behavior of the warning light is cars equipped with it, as a "bulb check"

Does the gauge read zero normally, and peg when you ground the dark green wire? (with power applied of course; key On)
The following users liked this post:
T.L. (04-16-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Pegs at start = it's supposed to do that; it mimics the behavior of the warning light is cars equipped with it, as a "bulb check"

Does the gauge read zero normally, and peg when you ground the dark green wire? (with power applied of course; key On)
Yes I believe so I'll have to double check to be sure
Old 04-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Supreme Member

Then it's a problem with the sensor. Either it's bad (not likely, but of course also not impossible), or it's not grounded effectively to the head. Too much teflon tape for example.
Old 04-14-2023, 07:02 PM

Then it's a problem with the sensor. Either it's bad (not likely, but of course also not impossible), or it's not grounded effectively to the head. Too much teflon tape for example.
The sensor is in the intake I'll check the ground
Old 04-15-2023, 10:29 AM
Supreme Member

The sensor should be in the driver's side head, between the #1 & #3 spark plugs. That might have something to do with the issue at hand.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 04-15-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-15-2023, 01:17 PM

The sensor should be in the driver's side head, between the #1 & #3 spark plugs. That might have something to do with the issue at hand.
understood I'll move it and see what happens
Old 04-15-2023, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jacobmccannell
understood I'll move it and see what happens
Moved the sender to the block and hooked the green wire to the sender and hooked the black wire of the back of gauge to a good ground on engine block still doesn't work...
If I hook the green wire to battery ground the gauge pegs so I assume it's not the gauge any suggestions would be appreciated as I'm stumped
Old 04-15-2023, 03:18 PM
COTM Editor

How is the engine itself grounded to the chassis, and how is the chassis grounded to battery? That's all part of the circuit too.

Paint will insulate too, so make sure things are in contact with bare metal anywhere there is a connection.
Old 04-15-2023, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
How is the engine itself grounded to the chassis, and how is the chassis grounded to battery? That's all part of the circuit too.

Paint will insulate too, so make sure things are in contact with bare metal anywhere there is a connection.
I know that battery negative is grounded to the chassis but I don't remember grounding the engine to the chassis when I put it in so I may have overlooked that!
​​​​​​where is the engine usually grounded to the chassis?
Old 04-16-2023, 10:45 AM
Supreme Member

The battery shouldn't be grounded to the chassis. That's a recipe for disaster.

It should be grounded to the engine, preferably the block itself, or something as close to it as possible. In these cars the factory often put it to one of the accessory brackets.

It's EXTREMELY important however, that the engine and chassis grounds be solidly connected together. The factory used those braid straps between the back of the heads and the firewall for this.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:00 AM
COTM Editor

^^^ what he said. The starter motor is a huge current draw and there needs to be a large cable from engine to battery. Whether or not the factory did this, that's what should be done.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:45 PM

The battery shouldn't be grounded to the chassis. That's a recipe for disaster.

It should be grounded to the engine, preferably the block itself, or something as close to it as possible. In these cars the factory often put it to one of the accessory brackets.

It's EXTREMELY important however, that the engine and chassis grounds be solidly connected together. The factory used those braid straps between the back of the heads and the firewall for this.
The negative cable was grounded from the battery to the chassis at the factory I didn't change that! Tell me why this is a recipe for disaster?
On another note I made
up a ground cable and hooked it from the manifold bolt directly to the frame and the gauge still doesn't work...
Old 04-16-2023, 05:08 PM

I guess technically speaking

the ground from the battery is hooked to the inner fender!
Old 04-16-2023, 05:31 PM
Supreme Member

The negative cable was grounded from the battery to the chassis at the factory
No it was NOT.

I didn't change that!
OK fine. I won't argue with you there. But SOMEONE did.

Tell me why this is a recipe for disaster?
The BIG wire needs to be WHERE THE HIGHEST CURRENT IS FLOWING. The highest current flow in a car, is the starter motor. This means that the BIG RED wires (batt cable) needs to go from the + batt terminal DIRECTLY to the starter; the starter of course is bolted to the block; the BIG BLACK cable that returns the current to the batt needs to be bolted as close as electrically possible to the starter, which means, the block. If not the block itself, as close as you can get, which the factory's usual method was to use a very short cable and go to a large bracket as close to the batt as it could. I'm guessing that they thought that a short cable bolted to the bracket was electrically superior to a long cable bolted to a casting piece farther away. They're probably not wrong: that'd be pretty eeeeezy data to collect, and I'm sure they did just exactly that.

PUT THE COPPER WHERE THE CURRENT IS. (speaking strictly as a mathematician and physicist for whom those specialties was NOT a marketable skill at the time, so I've been making my living as an electrical/electronic engineer for the last 40 some years)

the ground from the battery is hooked to the inner fender!
Well then that's a serious EFFFFF up. The ground from the batt should be hooked to the block, and then there should be a good connection from there to where the most current in the chassis ends up trying to find its way back to the batt which is the firewall which is why the factory connected between the heads (closest readily available point nearest the block which is arbitrarily close to where the neg batt cable goes) and the firewall. The fender isn't even a particularly good place for that secondary bonding connection. Firewall is much better since so many of the car's interior and whatnot electric things attempt to ground themselves to that. The fender is just a piece of random trim hung off in space somewhere somewhat near the CAR proper. The inner fender is PLASTIC, not even a conductor. You have a HACK JOB on your hands.

It's no wonder your car's electrical system is so messed up. Somebody has got in there before you and SODOMIZED it. Without the courtesy of using any Kentucky jelly even, I'm afraid.

​​​​​​​I made up a ground cable and hooked it from the manifold bolt directly to the frame and the gauge still doesn't work
OK, so put the sending unit where it belongs (the driver's side head between the #1 & #3 spark plugs) like we keep telling you, and THEN see if it works.

Quit trying to make your CRAPPY RIGGED UP HACKED POS PO HACK JOB work, and PUT THE CAR BACK LIKE IT BELONGS, and go from there. Understand and IMPLEMENT the difference between "fix" (what you're trying to do) and "repair" (make it RIGHT).
Old 04-16-2023, 05:39 PM

No it was NOT.

The BIG wire needs to be WHERE THE HIGHEST CURRENT IS FLOWING. The highest current flow in a car, is the starter motor. This means that the BIG RED wires (batt cable) needs to go from the + batt terminal DIRECTLY to the starter; the starter of course is bolted to the block; the BIG BLACK cable that returns the current to the batt needs to be bolted as close as electrically possible to the starter, which means, the block. If not the block itself, as close as you can get, which the factory's usual method was to use a very short cable and go to a large bracket as close to the batt as it could. I'm guessing that they thought that a short cable bolted to the bracket was electrically superior to a long cable bolted to a casting piece farther away. They're probably not wrong: that'd be pretty eeeeezy data to collect, and I'm sure they did just exactly that.

PUT THE COPPER WHERE THE CURRENT IS. (speaking strictly as a mathematician and physicist for whom those specialties was NOT a marketable skill at the time, so I've been making my living as an electrical/electronic engineer for the last 40 some years)

Well then that's a serious EFFFFF up. The ground from the batt should be hooked to the block, and then there should be a good connection from there to where the most current in the chassis ends up trying to find its way back to the batt which is the firewall which is why the factory connected between the heads (closest readily available point nearest the block which is arbitrarily close to where the neg batt cable goes) and the firewall. The fender isn't even a particularly good place for that secondary bonding connection. Firewall is much better since so many of the car's interior and whatnot electric things attempt to ground themselves to that. The fender is just a piece of random trim hung off in space somewhere somewhat near the CAR proper. The inner fender is PLASTIC, not even a conductor. You have a HACK JOB on your hands.

It's no wonder your car's electrical system is so messed up. Somebody has got in there before you and SODOMIZED it. Without the courtesy of using any Kentucky jelly even, I'm afraid.

OK, so put the sending unit where it belongs (the driver's side head between the #1 & #3 spark plugs) like we keep telling you, and THEN see if it works.

Quit trying to make your CRAPPY RIGGED UP HACKED POS PO HACK JOB work, and PUT THE CAR BACK LIKE IT BELONGS, and go from there. Understand and IMPLEMENT the difference between "fix" (what you're trying to do) and "repair" (make it RIGHT).
I Put the sending unit exactly where you said to and it made no difference I believe I said that
I'm
not trying to argue with anyone just looking for some help
Old 04-16-2023, 05:47 PM

No it was NOT.

Old 04-16-2023, 05:51 PM

the wire from the negative cable isn't even long enough to reach the block I'm not saying it's correct maybe it's not but that's why I'm on here Im trying to figure it out!
I'm not an electrician but I'm also not a dick so if your gonna be a dick then don't offer advice!
Old 04-16-2023, 06:45 PM
Supreme Member

Nothing about Sir Richard going on here, unless you choose to make it so. LEARN or remain ignorant. Your choice. I can stop helping, if you think that'll get your car fixed faster. Somehow though, I think NOT.

Your BIG black cable needs to go to something as close as possible, electrically, to THE BLOCK. Where does it go?

The little tiny weenie other wire that goes to the fender is ... NOT of any particular significance. About all it's meant to do is, provide a path for headlight and turn signal current.

The important wire is THE BIG ONE. Where does it go? Should go to the block, or something as close as possible to it, electrically. The little wire that you showed all those photos of is ... little. Not our concern here.

But that's a whole other matter on top of your gauge issue. Let's unravel one stoooooopid PO EFFF-UP at a time. How did the gauge work when you put the sending unit in the right place and hooked up the wire to it?
Old 04-16-2023, 06:51 PM

Nothing about Sir Richard going on here, unless you choose to make it so. LEARN or remain ignorant. Your choice. I can stop helping, if you think that'll get your car fixed faster. Somehow though, I think NOT.

Your BIG black cable needs to go to something as close as possible, electrically, to THE BLOCK. Where does it go?

The little tiny weenie other wire that goes to the fender is ... NOT of any particular significance. About all it's meant to do is, provide a path for headlight and turn signal current.

The important wire is THE BIG ONE. Where does it go? Should go to the block, or something as close as possible to it, electrically. The little wire that you showed all those photos of is ... little. Not our concern here.

But that's a whole other matter on top of your gauge issue. Let's unravel one stoooooopid PO EFFF-UP at a time. How did the gauge work when you put the sending unit in the right place and hooked up the wire to it?
The big cable goes to the block well hooked to an exhaust manifold bolt

The gauge still pins once key is turned and then I have to manually put it back down to normal range after that once the car is started it does nothing
Old 04-17-2023, 02:40 PM

The big cable goes to the block well hooked to an exhaust manifold bolt

The gauge still pins once key is turned and then I have to manually put it back down to normal range after that once the car is started it does nothing
Where should I go from here the only thing I haven't checked is if I'm actually getting 12 volt power to the back of the gauge on the cluster just used a test light!