Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Quick radiator question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick radiator question?

Well, I'll finally be getting around to ordering a new radiator and water pump to install in the 'bird soon, as from what I can tell, they have probably never been replaced, and the car's been sitting for a month now since it overheats. Since I recently changed direction with this project, and will be sticking with SBC stuff (i.e, later chucking the 305 for a 350, rather than Ltx/Lsx), I figured I might as well go with something better than the cheapest stock replacement parts possible. But at the same time, I don't have the funds for any of the super high-end racing grade stuff (and does a 305 really need it? lol)

Anyways, What I'm wondering about is in regards to a 1-row vs 2-row aluminum core radiator. Most of the OE replacement stuff I'm finding is around $92-$110 for a single-core, and measures 26.25 x 17.25 x 1, with ever slight variances. For about $70 more though, I've found a two-core one that's 26.25 x 17.25 x 1.37. Is this worth it? I'm also gonna be going w/a heavy duty/high flow water pump since it can be used on a 350 later anyway.

The question really, is will that setup work for me? No, it's not going on any 500-600+ HP 383 stroker or LS1 setups. If I go that far, I'd just bite the bullet and get the high end stuff anyway! Think more of a 350 in the 300-350 FWHP range.

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock
Re: Quick radiator question?

$185 for a 2row???

Check the thread by

OUTATIME GTA
The one about 3 row direct fit aluminum radiator.

Says a 2row in the area of $145 IIRC.
It's a group purchase, so get in on it before Tuesday, the 7th!!!

About $40 for savings!!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:52 AM

Well, I've hopped on the group purchase wagon! But I still have a question. I'm told that you should get a coolant flush done before you install new parts. Problem is, either my radiator is completely clogged w/scale/corrosion, or the water pump is toast, cause I didn't seem to get any coolant flow through the upper radiator hose last time I fired the car up (already changed the thermostat). Is there some kind of flushing fluid I can pour in the radiator myself for now? Just so I can at least make it to a shop to have it well flushed out. Don't want to put in new parts just to have them get clogged again! lol
Old 12-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Since you are replacing radiator and water pump, only place left for any coolant to be is in the intake, heads, and block. Why not just take out the thermostat, remove the knock sensor, and flush it yourself with the hose (in the thermostat hole)?

I'd wait and do it the day you are replacing the radiator/water pump - it's getting cold, don't know where you are located, and you don't want plain tap water sitting and/or freezing inside while you wait.

I wouldn't risk an overheat with that old junk just to drive it sompleace to pay someone to do the same damn thing.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:23 PM

Ok, got it!

I still have one more quick question, about water pumps that I'm just gonna post here instead of making a new topic about it.

I originally had the mindset of getting a high-flow unit, but some people seem to say that these can actually be counter-productive to the cooling process on milder engines, because they can flow coolant back through your engine before it has enough time to cool down in the radiator? (but I think, wouldn't it spend less time in the engine and not get as hot?)

Should I go with a high-flow pump as I had intended? or just a heavy-duty stock one? I'm eventually swapping out the 305 for a mild-moderate 350/L98 setup later on.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:21 PM

Car: 82,83,99 T/As
Engine: 350,350,383
Transmission: ST-10,700r4,4l60e
Axle/Gears: P-3.23,P-3.42?,P-4.10

I have the Duralast HD one from AZ. Car runs too cool, but that could be my stat. Not sure if it's a 160*.
Anyways, this is on a stock 75 350 with headers. I see no problems with it.
It was like ~$80. I had a clutch fan for a day, then swapped to a single electric. This is with a stock late gen plastic rad.
Hope that helps.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

a lot of the high flow pumps say the pressure they create doesnt let particles to stick or grab onto the inner parts engine components therefore letting you cool them down faster. not saying this is true but that is what i read.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:56 AM

Well, I just ended up going w/a Heavy duty replacement pump. From what I've read, they're more than adequate for my needs, and the radiator, thermostat, or fans are better areas to address first anyway.

Looks like I've got a fun afternoon ahead of me this weekend
Old 12-16-2010, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 ta slightly modified
Engine: 350
Transmission: auto 350 w/reverse valve body
Axle/Gears: 410 ratio

just asking but have you checked for water in the oil?
Old 12-27-2010, 04:25 AM

Yup. Already did that. The oil looks normal, and as far as I can tell so far, it's a clogged up, poorly maintained cooling system I'm dealing with.

Anywho..

UPDATE!

Amidst being quite busy over the last couple of weeks, I've finally gotten started on the work I need to do with this car. Drained what coolant was left in the system (nearly brown, corrosive goodness), removed all the hoses (the lower one was swollen pretty bad, so I'll be replacing both), and removed the fan and radiator. Just need to get that water pump out before I start putting new stuff in!

But I've come across a couple of other things I'm curious about. Upon removing the radiator, I've discovered a pretty beat up looking A/C condenser, which I'm guessing would explain my mysterious leaking through the front grille? I'm wondering if this is something I need to replace immediately, or if I can put it off for now? Also, I'm beginning to wonder if since I'm going to all the trouble of basically ripping most of the cooling stuff out, if it would be a good idea to pick up a heater core to put in just to be on the safe side?

Thanks!