Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

overheating camaro rs 305 tbi

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 gta-
Engine: 383 tpi
Transmission: 700 r-4
Re: overheating camaro rs 305 tbi

I just helped a guy with the same problem right now he just left my driveway, his car was overheating, i checked his coolant recovery bottle, sure enough it had duct tape that the previous owner had used to patch up a small hole. when the engine gets up to operating temp and the coolant pressure/temp exceeds the radiator cap spring pressure,it opens up and the expanded coolant flows into the coolant recovery tank,once you shut down your engine ,coolant is drawn back into the radiator from the coolant recovery tank. its a cycle. since your coolant recovery tank leaks, you are loosing coolant into the ground and when the engine cools down its drawing just air back to the rad. did u try the thermostat? lower rad. hose, i use the one with the spring inside so it wont collapse.is the engine running lean, timing,water pump turning the right way? my rad seemed fine with the cap open it "looked" like it flowed very good, i changed it anyhow and my car runs nice and cool now.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:33 PM

Car: 90 camaro rs
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4

I never see anything leaking on the ground, I have already replaced the thermostat, lower rad. hose is not collapsing, engine is running fine, replaced radiator and the water pump is turning the right way. I haven't checked timing but last I set it I set it a 0. All of that makes sense I know I am losing coolant and the only place I can figure is the head.

Last edited by rscamaro90; 06-14-2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: forgot to post something
Old 06-14-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 camaro RS

Remove the cap off the rad. and smell. If it smells like exhaust in the slightest chances are the head gasket/s are bad, but one more thought is that it might poss. be the intake gaskets are bad. A compression check will tell you about the head gaskets. If a head or intake gasket are bad you will get coolant in that cyl and the plug will look like new along with all the carbon cleaned off the top of the piston. The reason I bring up the intake gaskets is that you say it is running fine. Usually you will at least have a partial miss at best with a bad head gasket due to the lack of cyl. pressure.
If you fill up the rad. while it's cold the engine will be at maximum capacity. Does it overheat right away (after it warms up) or does it take awhile ?
Really need to do a compression check and look at the plugs while they are out. This should tell all.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 PM

Car: 90 camaro rs

It takes about 10min to overheat after it gets to operating temp. I thought about the intake gaskets also, but I just replaced them about 5yrs ago. I'm gonna pull the plugs first chance I get, been meaning to do it but just haven't yet.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:57 PM

Car: 1992 camaro RS

If you have a AutoZone close by they have a cooling system pressure tester kit in their loaner tools, or if you know someone that has one. You can use that to also find out where the leak is.
Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:22 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS 25th An.
Transmission: 5 Speed/ Stock
Axle/Gears: Stock

i Read this whole thread and it stop right at the good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!
what happen did he ever get that overheating problem fixed????
i got the same Problem and need to fix this over heating before it gets worst!!!!