Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

A/C Pro, any good? Stops leaks too?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC-Z Camaro, 1981 Trans Am
Engine: 350 TPI, 301 N/A
Transmission: 700r4, 350thm
A/C Pro, any good? Stops leaks too?

Hi everyone,

My cars A/C isnt working right, and im 99% sure its because its low on freon. It will kick on and blow fairly strong thru the vents, just doesnt blow very cold, pretty much just "room" temperature. The compressor clutch also shuts off almost immediatly, then kicks back on, then off again, repeatedly. I know that is because of low freon levels.

Im also nervous if i put freon in it will leak back out fairly quickly, the car hasnt been a daily driver for years, and the last time its had any freon in it was probably at least two years ago. So im nervous my seals may be cracked and dried, no good.

My questions are these:

Any freon recommended? (a/c pro any good?)

Do any have anything similar to "stop leak" in them? If so, should i avoid them? I know the stop leaks from coolant systems can clog up water pumps and small passageways.

Thanks,

Adam
Old 05-24-2012, 12:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt - 2.77
Re: A/C Pro, any good? Stops leaks too?

Dont use any stop leaks or super seal stuff. Your right, it will clog things up and it can damage the compressor. Your best bet is to do a full recharge of the system and put some dye in it. Some recharge cans have dye in it but if it doesnt, you can get it separate. After you recharge the system, drive the vehicle for a while using the AC and then check for leaks. You will need the light(like a black light, but cant remember what what kind of light it is right off hand) to find the leak if there is one. Freon will leak out over time thru the rubber hoses. If no leaks are found, you should be fine.