Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

long or short water pump.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 iroc z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-r4
long or short water pump.

Hi,,im currently in the process of getting a few things to upgrade my cooling system,like a new fan/shroud,air dam,,,and i was thinking about also replacing my water pump as well. This may sound like a dumb question to most,but i noticed they make LONG and SHORT type water pumps. I have no idea wich one i would be needing. I have a 350,from an old el camino in my camaro.Does anyone have an idea wich pump my engine would most likely use? whats the difference between long and short pumps? thanks for any awswers....also 1 more thing to add. i noticed when my car got too hot (240*) there was a noise present,,it kind of sounded like that sound when a power steering pump goes bad,,that sound it makes if you would turn the steering wheel. but it was making a sound like this,,when it was just sitting there in idle only when it was hot.dont hear it when the system is cool. Is that a sign of a bad water pump? and then it kind of hesitated like it wanted to stall when i put it in drive,,so i could park it. only when it was hot though.

Last edited by napalm368; 07-12-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: add sentance
Old 07-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Christine Z28
Engine: RV Cam and Intake 350 SBC
Transmission: 5speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08 ls Posi
Re: long or short water pump.

Originally Posted by napalm368
Hi,,im currently in the process of getting a few things to upgrade my cooling system,like a new fan/shroud,air dam,,,and i was thinking about also replacing my water pump as well. This may sound like a dumb question to most,but i noticed they make LONG and SHORT type water pumps. I have no idea wich one i would be needing. I have a 350,from an old el camino in my camaro.Does anyone have an idea wich pump my engine would most likely use? whats the difference between long and short pumps? thanks for any awswers....also 1 more thing to add. i noticed when my car got too hot (240*) there was a noise present,,it kind of sounded like that sound when a power steering pump goes bad,,that sound it makes if you would turn the steering wheel. but it was making a sound like this,,when it was just sitting there in idle only when it was hot.dont hear it when the system is cool. Is that a sign of a bad water pump? and then it kind of hesitated like it wanted to stall when i put it in drive,,so i could park it. only when it was hot though.
I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you which pump you need since you have an el camino 350. I would suggest going down to an auto parts store with the water pump and seeing if they can identify it.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

stock is a long water pump. they quit using the short pumps in passenger cars (except for Corvettes and V8 Monzas) after the 68 model year and used them in trucks thru the 72 model year..

an easy way to tell is by where the alternator is mounted. if it's up high above the exhaust manifold on the driver's side, then it's a short pump.. if it's tucked in tight in front of the passenger side head with the upper and lower brackets to the water pump, then it's a long water pump.

if you have a later model serpentine belt setup in the car (big aluminum brackets that mount the accessories solidly with one long flat belt around everything) then it's a reverse rotation long water pump.
The following users liked this post:
Phantom8 (07-06-2023)
Old 07-15-2012, 05:06 PM

Car: 1986 iroc z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-r4

oh,okay..i seen it..thanks. it must be a long water pump. if i end up putting one in,,it will just be for good measure,,because i just installed a simple air dam this week,,and my high temp problems have not been a problem..went from running 230 to 240,down to consistant 190..maybe 200 degrees now.hard to believe what a massive difference a flat piece of plastic made.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

most cooling problems come down to either aerodynamics or ignition timing.