Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Make my Ole'Lady happy > AC Help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91' bird(WS6>>305TBI), 82'Regal
Make my Ole'Lady happy > AC Help.

No it's not my Firebird but her 2000 Grand Am GT.....

Who wants to spend the money and time swapping in a new A.C. Compressor when not needed? I don't....

Anyone ever seen this done before ????Watch this Link I found on You-Tube. >>> Intriguing to say the least! Wonder how many people have bought new compressors when not needed?

Watch the video and read ALL of what he explains > Crafty

He has different style relay so I'm not sure on what 2 clips/prongs to use to force the clutch on the compressor to engage. Need the compressor on to take on the freon.

Her relay is good as well as the fuses....... Had A.C. on full blast. Made sure the hose from the can to the car was connected good. Low hose on the firewall... Ect...ect...ect....

Thanks > Mike
Old 05-31-2013, 01:47 PM

Re: Make my Ole'Lady happy > AC Help.

His better written explanation did not come up with the video.

Basically G.M. installed a sensor to detect when the freon is too low to prevent the compressor from running. Problem is if your system is to low when you try to fill it the sensor won't turn on the compressor. If you have added freon before you know you need the compressor to kick on in order to take on the freon you hooked-up.

Last edited by bitchin_buick; 05-31-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:15 PM

Found out what pins to bypass. It worked as far as engaging the clutch.

Still didn't seem to be taking on the freon much once the clutch kicked the compressor into gear....

Pressure was showing the system was full but no cool air in the cab? Bummer > I do believe in fact that the compressor is bad.

Oh well it was worth a shot. Can't win'em all....

Mike
Old 05-31-2013, 09:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

This is all unnecessary. The only purpose of manually running the compressor is to see if the compressor will actually physically turn on.

If you have an empty system with zero refrigerant, the compressor (under normal circumstances, no bypassed pins etc) will not turn on. The pressure is 0 psi. Once you add the 1st can in or even the 1st two cans in, the compressor should start and run brief cycles. Basically if you have about 50% or less of the refrigerant in the system, you don't need to turn on the compressor. At 50+% capacity, it's a good idea to start up the compressor to help move the refrigerant through the system and balance everything out. This also helps prevent "slugging" the compressor if you've installed refrigerant in liquid form instead of gas form.

You'll need the compressor on to get the last can of refrigerant in.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by bitchin_buick
Pressure was showing the system was full but no cool air in the cab? Bummer > I do believe in fact that the compressor is bad.
Possibly. But maybe not. What did the low and high pressure numbers read during this time? Was the system empty? Did you run a vacuum before hand?