Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Little trouble with new ACDelco A/C Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:00 PM

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 85 Iron Duke, 88 GTA and 92 TA
Little trouble with new ACDelco A/C Compressor

Hey guys,

my old Harrison Compressor died recently, so I bought a new one from Rockauto, ACDelco 1520148. It is the correct replacement for the Harrison. Fits perfect. The problem is the included washer set, ACDelco 2724887.
The little instruction sheet tells me that I have to use the green and black wahser for my hose block. But there is no black washer included?! Just a red one, a green one and a zinc plated one and the two described inserts...

I have the "Flat face hose block with short pilots". The insert for the discharge line is already in place, so is the green washer for the discharge line. But what about the described black one? Anyone here who has installed an ACDelco Compressor too?
The application is different from the original Harrison where you need two thin twin washers.
The Delco unit seems to be for different cars with different hoses.

Who can help? I just have to wait for my new Condenser, then I can charge the system and be ready to cool down.

Oli
Old 08-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open
Re: Little trouble with new ACDelco A/C Compressor

If you don't get an answer here, maybe ask AC Delco?

http://www.acdelco.com/contact-us.html
Old 08-07-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm in a similar situation. I called A/C Delco and they said that the black sealing washer (part number 52457910) should have been included with the compressor, and the representative told me to contact the retailer and see if they can provide that part. He also said that it showed on his computer that 52457910 is a correct application for a 1992 Firebird with a 3.1 V6.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:22 PM

I've done a little research and I think I may have an answer.

First, if you haven't taken a look at this old tech article it may help out with retrofitting:
https://www.thirdgen.org/retrofitac/

I did some googling of the part numbers and found someone had a similar issue on a Buick Grand National:
http://acsource.net/acforum/viewtopi...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Scroll down to post 4 by GM Tech. You'll see that he recommends using the red sealing washer on the discharge side with a standard sealing washer on the suction side. I purchased this kit, which had a standard sealing washer inside it:
Amazon.com: Four Seasons 26743 O-Ring & Gasket Air Conditioning System Seal Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Four Seasons 26743 O-Ring & Gasket Air Conditioning System Seal Kit: Automotive

The standard sealing washer is very thin. With this washer on the suction side, and the red washer on the discharge side, my A/C manifold mounts flush to the back side of the compressor. I also used the short guide insert on my discharge side to guide the manifold into place.

I torqued the manifold to 34 NM (about 25 ft-lb), and put a vacuum on it for an hour. It has held the vacuum for about 30 minutes at this point, so my guess is that this combination works well.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:30 AM

Thank you everyone for your answers!

News - I ordered another set with the same part number where the black washer was pictured on the photo... Came today... without the goddamn washer! I am really pissed about this. Never had trouble with Delco parts. Plus, living in Germany makes it impossible to order parts for my Firebird over here. No one knows ACDelco here.
Tomorrow I will receive my new Condenser and then I will install the whole A/C System (everything new except the discharge hardline from Condenser to Evap, could not find it new anywhere, long ago discontinued).

I took a closer look today after I got the wrong parts again and think I will use the green washer with the short insert for the discharge side as pronounced in the sheet, and for the suction side I may use the red washer. I pre-mounted the hose block to the compressor with all different washers I have now and the red one seems to fit best in combination with the green one.
The hose block has a 1,2mm gap to the compressor as said in the sheet when I use the red one and it seems that hose block and compressor have a tight fit. Tomorrow evening I will charge the system at work with our all new Waeco A/C Service Station and I will give the system a vacuum leak test about 45 minutes or more.

I'll write back to you guys tomorrow, thanks so far!

Oli
Old 08-12-2015, 12:01 PM

It's only been a few days, but I've had good luck so far with the red washer on the discharge side and the standard, thin washer on the suction side. The A/C has been blowing uncomfortably cold, and I haven't spotted any leaks yet (I put some dye in the system along with the charge).

I hope the green discharge / red suction combo works out for you!
Old 08-13-2015, 10:50 AM

News!
I finally got the A/C to work! I used the green washer with the short insert on the discharge side as described and the zinc plated ohne on the suction side. Seems to be tight and works perfect since yesterday.
I used the red washer first on the suction side, but the hose block was a bit crooked to the discharge side what means, that the red washer was to big. With the zinc plated one, the block sits perfect when the screw is torqued to 34 Nm. Future will show, if it is tight for a longer time.

But I have a new problem with the compressor clutch. It won't disengage, it stays on all the time. Guess I will open an new thread for this. Thank you all for your support!

Oli
Old 08-16-2015, 12:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by J.C. Denton
Hey guys,

my old Harrison Compressor died recently, so I bought a new one from Rockauto, ACDelco 1520148. It is the correct replacement for the Harrison. Fits perfect. The problem is the included washer set, ACDelco 2724887.
The little instruction sheet tells me that I have to use the green and black wahser for my hose block. But there is no black washer included?! Just a red one, a green one and a zinc plated one and the two described inserts...

I have the "Flat face hose block with short pilots". The insert for the discharge line is already in place, so is the green washer for the discharge line. But what about the described black one? Anyone here who has installed an ACDelco Compressor too?
The application is different from the original Harrison where you need two thin twin washers.
The Delco unit seems to be for different cars with different hoses.

Who can help? I just have to wait for my new Condenser, then I can charge the system and be ready to cool down.

Oli
i just went through this cluster fu%$ myself . apparently . the new compressors are NOT correct for our application . i bought 3 of them and there is NO way for you to mount your hoses to the compressor. some jack leg thought itd be funny to change the way the hoses mount . i ended up having to buy a re man compressor in order to mount my hoses to the back
Old 08-16-2015, 03:36 AM

The described washers worked pretty well on my new Compressor. Still tight. Which one did you try?
Old 08-26-2018, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should have also sent you an additional seal kit # 2724575 its listed on that application sheet. That has the correct black washers (2) but you only use one. go figure. I'm going through this now and it was confusing because they actually sent me three different washer kits. After reading the sheet a few times it started to make sense. Too many applications i don't know why they just can't keep it simple. I know this is three years late but I lost my sheet and i googled it and yours came up here. So, thanks for posting it!
Old 08-26-2018, 12:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 90 Formula / T-tops
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: MD8

If u switched to 134 make certain you have old mineral oil out of system or your new compressor won’t last very long
Old 08-27-2018, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
If u switched to 134 make certain you have old mineral oil out of system or your new compressor won’t last very long
Right, thank you. I'm sticking with R12
Old 08-27-2018, 05:56 PM

I see my old thread popping up right now. AC still works perfect with the seals and R134a.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '89 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

I am so glad to have found this thread! I was in the exact same predicament earlier today...5 years later, its still helping others.

Old 07-25-2022, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
if my hoses have steps, (a lip) Is a washer still required??
Old 07-26-2022, 07:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 155 Likes on 144 Posts
Car: 89' Firebird
Engine: 3.4L V-6
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Whatever came stock!

Originally Posted by Portugal
if my hoses have steps, (a lip) Is a washer still required??

All the hoses have steps. but it depends on the compressor you have... the new delco ones require the washrs, but the old remans will require the O ring.