Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Cannot for the life of me figure out the Taurus wiring!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '02 T/A
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Cannot for the life of me figure out the Taurus wiring!

I have a 2 speed Taurus fan and I'm just trying to wire the low side up to a toggle for now. The fan works as I tried a jumper wire to the battery. Ive tried a 40a and 80a relay and I'm using a led toggle switch. I've wires the relay how the diagrams online say so but I still can't get the fan to come on. My toggle has a slot for power(fuse box source, ground and the 3rd is going to the relay).
The relay is a spst where I had the 30 wired to a inline 30a fuse then to the positive on the battery, 87 was going to fan low speed wire, 86 to ground and 85 to the toggle. The fans high side wire isn't connected but the fans ground wire is grounded. Any ideas?
Old 03-19-2016, 10:41 AM

Re: Cannot for the life of me figure out the Taurus wiring!

bump

I'm sure it's gonna be something simple.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 634 Likes on 534 Posts

Picture of the relay and you have it wired?
A typical relay has 4 terminals.
+12 volts/high current from the battery. Can be terminal 30 or 87.
+12 volts out to the fan. Which ever you have left over after choosing 30 or 87 above.
+12 volts/low current from battery or ignition to the relay coil. 86 or 85.
Grounded wire to complete the coil circuit. Whichever you have left over from choosing 86 or 85 above
Your toggle switch will be between either the low current circuit to the coil or it can be put in the grounded wire circuit. Either way will work.
I've seen more than one installation where the "high current contact circuit" is mixed up with the "control coil circuit".
A simple test, with most mechanical relays, (as opposed to solid state or electronic relays), is to keep the high current portion of the wiring out of the picture and wire only the coil side of the relay (86 and 85) through your toggle switch. Operating the toggle will cause an audible click from the relay. That way you know the high current contacts are closing.
Re-reading your post, I suspect that you may have the toggle wired incorrectly.

Last edited by skinny z; 03-19-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:57 AM

What's the diff between high and low current? I had a wire going to the battery's positive terminal to 30. My toggle is in the center console and had 3 terminals-a wire going to the fuse box 12v source, a ground and another going to a terminal on the relay. The relay has 4 terminals like you've mentioned.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 317 Likes on 260 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

Can you hear the relay click when the switch is flipped?
Is the switch 12v constant or ignition key?
Old 03-21-2016, 02:03 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by armybyrd
What's the diff between high and low current? I had a wire going to the battery's positive terminal to 30. My toggle is in the center console and had 3 terminals-a wire going to the fuse box 12v source, a ground and another going to a terminal on the relay. The relay has 4 terminals like you've mentioned.

The low current side (less than 1 amp) of the relay is what's connected to your toggle switch. Inside the relay is a coil which, when energized via the toggle switch will close a set of contacts. These contacts are what handle the high current side of the relay and connect the 30 amps from your battery to the fan.
All the low current (coil) half of the relay requires is 12 volts from an accessory circuit and a lead to ground.
If that part of the relay is connected correctly you will hear the relay "click" when the toggle is switched.
The high current side of the relay is simply an on/off mechanism to handle the power to the fan. It requires a fused lead from the battery.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by 84 1LE
Can you hear the relay click when the switch is flipped?
Is the switch 12v constant or ignition key?
No I don't hear anything. I tried both a switched and constant 12v source from the fuse box.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by skinny z
The low current side (less than 1 amp) of the relay is what's connected to your toggle switch. Inside the relay is a coil which, when energized via the toggle switch will close a set of contacts. These contacts are what handle the high current side of the relay and connect the 30 amps from your battery to the fan.
All the low current (coil) half of the relay requires is 12 volts from an accessory circuit and a lead to ground.
If that part of the relay is connected correctly you will hear the relay "click" when the toggle is switched.
The high current side of the relay is simply an on/off mechanism to handle the power to the fan. It requires a fused lead from the battery.

So the high current side would be the wire I had going from the relay's 30 terminal to a fuse then the positive side of the battery. Are you saying another terminal on the relay needs to be going to a 12v source from the fuse box? Does my toggle wiring sound right? It's a led toggle with 3 terminals; a ground, 12v source(I used the fuse box) and the 3rd was wired to a terminal on the relay.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:08 PM
Supreme Member

So the high current side would be the wire I had going from the relay's 30 terminal to a fuse then the positive side of the battery.
Yes.

Are you saying another terminal on the relay needs to be going to a 12v source from the fuse box?
Yes. 12 volts is needed to run the relay coil. I typically tap into the fuse block into a empty slot labelled "IGN". 12 volts is also needed to power the fan (via the relay). That will usually come right from the battery to a fuse located close by (so as not to have any length of wire running through the engine bay that isn't protected by a fuse).

Does my toggle wiring sound right? It's a led toggle with 3 terminals; a ground, 12v source(I used the fuse box) and the 3rd was wired to a terminal on the relay.
That's difficult to say without testing it. The LED and how it's wired internally within the toggle can make it difficult. Basically what you need is 12 volts to the toggle and that 12 volts gets to the 3rd terminal (assuming the 2nd terminal is strictly the ground for the LED) when the toggle is switched to the on position.

I hope that helps. If you're still stuck, I can talk you through the trouble shooting procedure using a multi-meter or a mechanics 12 volt test lamp.

Attached Thumbnails Cannot for the life of me figure out the Taurus wiring!-relay-wiring.jpg  
Old 03-21-2016, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by skinny z
Yes.

Yes. 12 volts is needed to run the relay coil. I typically tap into the fuse block into a empty slot labelled "IGN". 12 volts is also needed to power the fan (via the relay). That will usually come right from the battery to a fuse located close by (so as not to have any length of wire running through the engine bay that isn't protected by a fuse).

That's difficult to say without testing it. The LED and how it's wired internally within the toggle can make it difficult. Basically what you need is 12 volts to the toggle and that 12 volts gets to the 3rd terminal (assuming the 2nd terminal is strictly the ground for the LED) when the toggle is switched to the on position.

I hope that helps. If you're still stuck, I can talk you through the trouble shooting procedure using a multi-meter or a mechanics 12 volt test lamp.

Seems like what I've been doing. Is terminal 87 on the relay just the fan wire?
Old 03-21-2016, 10:42 PM
Supreme Member

Each terminal on the relay serves only one purpose.
Do you have a part number and make of the relay? The same for the toggle switch?
Do you have a multimeter or a 12 volt test light?
We need to figure if you have power and if you do, is it being switched properly.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:37 PM

80a relay. The other two are 40a but same setup.

The 80a was from eBay. One of the 40a is a hella from advanced auto.

I do have a dmm and test light.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:30 AM
Supreme Member

The only variable here is the third terminal on the switch. I can't make out two out the symbols. If you put your meter to the resistance/continuity setting, you should get a dead short across the + terminal and one of the other two. It should be zero ohms. That terminal will be what supplies terminal 86 on the relay. With 12 volts to the + terminal, (test to see if you have 12 volts there and it may be that the ignition has to be on) putting the toggle to the on position will put 12 volts to the other side of the toggle and then to the relay.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Supreme Member

Any luck?