Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Temp gauge bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 94 Camaro RS. 84 Z28 350 T5
Engine: V6 & V8
Transmission: Automatic & Manual
Temp gauge bad?

So I'm a little stumped as to what could my current issue be. I changed the temp sensor, thermostat, flushed all the fluids, and checked to make sure the coolant flowed into the block when idling. Put thermostat cap on and the car still runs no problem. As soon as I rev the engine or go for a test drive the gauge spikes as if its overheating. I've tried this 3 times now. Oil looks great. Changed it to make sure but I'm wondering if the gauge is faulty. I find it unlikely since when the car is idling the temp reads as though it's fine. Is my best bet to try changing the gauge next? I also recently just picked up and LS engine so I'm planning on making that the winter project. What makes the most sense as my next step? The car is currently a 350 T5 setup without an electric fan. I need to start considering my research of what the most economical approach for now until I do the swap but am worried on these hot days. Any thoughts? Am I better off going with an analog gauge so when I do the conversion i can incorporate that with the LS? Or plan on using the original gauge cluster with its sensors for the LS. Given that is my problem. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Temp gauge bad?

I would see if I could beg a working gauge off somebody and see if it reads the same. Could be a bad circuit sender etc.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 94 Camaro RS. 84 Z28 350 T5
Engine: V6 & V8
Transmission: Automatic & Manual
Re: Temp gauge bad?

Yeah I was thinking the same. Unfortunately I dont have anyone locally with one laying around unfortunately. Looking at the forums it looks like my stock harness from an 84 Camaro wont be much help on doing an LS swap. Being it's a TBI car. It was originally an auto car too. It's going to get a Tremec 6speed too that came with the motor. I got a complete drivetrain harness, ECM, and all from an 02 SS Camaro. Just trying to figure on what's the best next move as I'd like to still enjoy the car on nice days.