DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

ALDL TTL -> laptop RS232 Connector

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56
ALDL TTL -> laptop RS232 Connector

I have found a few circut diagrams to build the aldl to laptop connector, and am planning on setting this thing up. However, I am thinking of permanantly wiring it into the car, and I was wondering if anyone sees any potential problems with this setup.

Here's my plan so far:
1. Tap into the wires for A, B, and M on the ALDL connector. Create a circuit between the A and B wires, with a 12VDC switch inline so I can enable/disable diagnostic mode. I was also thinking about adding a fuse in the loop, but I'm not sure what amp to use. I'll figure that out later. The wire from M will go to the input on the converter, possibly with a fuse as well, but it will be always attached (this is the part that I am about). Also, a wire will run from the converter back to A, as per all the diagrams. I will tap into the wires using either a T connector, or a little widget (forgot the name) that clamps on the wire, and hooks the third into it without cutting the original.

2. Tap into the wires behind the Cig lighter in the same way, to provide power to the converter. This will also have a fuse and an enable/disbale switch.

3.Finally, I will mount the DB9 connector for the laptop to plug into.

Does anyone see a problem with leaving the communication's wire (M) hooked up all the time, and just disabling the converter's power supply? Any problems tapping into the ALDL wires? I believe the ALDL would still function as normal. Thanks