DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Anyone ever built a sheet metal intake similar to the Accel DFI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2005 Audi A4 Avant
Engine: 1.8T
Anyone ever built a sheet metal intake similar to the Accel DFI?

I've been thinking about it. Cutting stock runners down, welding a base on top of them and welding up a sheet metal intake that resembles an Accel intake, which is basically an effing box. Of course, tapped for all the vacuum accessories and blah, blah, blah, I'm not worried about that stuff. But if I made one, will it work? Has anyone ever done this and does anyone have any pics/info/results/etc?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A plenum would be on top, not the base. I guess anything is possible, but many, many, hours of R&D went into the design of the Superram intake. Even though the math has alrerady been done, I think it would be difficult to duplicate. Cutting the runners down would be hard enough, and then welding flanges on them, and having them true and flat, so you would not require a 1/4 inch thick gasket. The S/R is a PITA to work on with the original bought piece. There are other manifold set ups that would be far less complex to build. Maybe somthing like a Stealth ram?
Old 03-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: Anyone ever built a sheet metal intake similar to the Accel DFI?

Originally posted by buymytransam
I've been thinking about it. Cutting stock runners down, welding a base on top of them and welding up a sheet metal intake that resembles an Accel intake, which is basically an effing box. Of course, tapped for all the vacuum accessories and blah, blah, blah, I'm not worried about that stuff. But if I made one, will it work? Has anyone ever done this and does anyone have any pics/info/results/etc?
You'd do as well just to start with a single plane, IMO.