DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Wide range of tuning questions that I need help answering

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 camaro RS
Engine: superchargered 350
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Wide range of tuning questions that I need help answering

1.) What is the best way to detect detonation when tuning the spark tables? Good ol' fashion make a run and check the plugs? Listen and determine by ear? Go by the knock sensor?

2.) I have decided to start with the AXCN bin from the 91' vette (thats Rbob) for my setup in my sig. Will the spark tables be good enough to be considered "conservative"? Meaning, I want to be able to adjust idle and start driving and tuning the afrs first without having to worry about detonation from too much advance. Anything to worry about when using the AXCN on my setup in my sig? I know they will need fine tuned, but are they good enough to get me on the road and tuning the afrs?

3.) Will I be better off to use the AXCN spark tables or cut and paste from the s_aujp bin or even from an lt1 engine (not sure of which bin that is)?

4.) Are the values shown in the tables in tuner pro in hex or are they in decimal. I'm not talking about the code, I'm talking about the VE and SA table values.

5.) In Tuner Pro RT, are the values in the spark tables the actual degrees of timing advance or are they non-represenative numbers? Meaning if a cell says 23, does it mean that cell is running a 23*BTDC timing advance?

6.) Does the ALDU1 & CABL1 XtremeALDL from Moates work with the 730 ecm for datalogging with the use of an ostrich?

7.) What is the optimal base timing to set/use on the distributor before tuning the ecm timing?

8.) I see alot of people saying they set their WOT timing to x* from 3200 rpms and up. What does that mean. does that mean that at 3200 rpms through redline they set the entire timing map to one certain degree of advance?

9.) What is the round about AFR that most people aim for under WOT in an NA 350 with the mods in my sig. 9.5:1 compression using 91 octane? Part throttle afrs? idle afrs?
Im assuming the WOT will be somewhere around 12.9-13.2 and the part throttle/cruising and idle will be around 14.5-14.9?

Sorry if these sound like noob questions or there are too many questions in one post, but I just needed to get general answers on some of them. I am not new to tuning, just new to tuning GM's.

Thanks to all who offer help and answers