DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Possible ECM failure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Possible ECM failure?

Hi I have a 1987 305 TPI trans am and it will not start none of the relays will switch and the fuel pump will not run. When i turn the key to the "on" position without the engine started there is no Check Engine light and when i try to short the A and B terminal to check codes the Radiator fans will not start and the light will not flash....also a slightly major issue .....lol......the car will not start...the starter turns but no igniton and i am assuming since the fuel pump doesnt run when the key is turn there is not fuel pressure so....

There is a little back story to this, and i know you guys are going to think i am stupid but i have a tendency to make BIG mistakes.

#1 I have been having MAF sensor issues and i was troubleshooting so i had the A and B terminals shorted....and without thinking i tried to start the engine.....oooops any possible detrimental effects?

#2 Same sort of issue i was again troubleshooting and i grounded the fuel pump "G" termial and i forgot to unhook it when i left for the night come back the next morning start the car up and drive for a while realize what i have done and I shut the car off pull the jumper wire and tried to start the car again and now i found myself in the position i am not ......so if anyone could help i would greatly appreciate any

Thanks
-somepolishkid
Old 04-05-2010, 10:56 PM

Car: 88Roc Flame Red Black/Gold Pkg
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Possible ECM failure?

Originally Posted by somepolishkid
Hi I have a 1987 305 TPI trans am and it will not start none of the relays will switch and the fuel pump will not run. When i turn the key to the "on" position without the engine started there is no Check Engine light and when i try to short the A and B terminal to check codes the Radiator fans will not start and the light will not flash....also a slightly major issue .....lol......the car will not start...the starter turns but no igniton and i am assuming since the fuel pump doesnt run when the key is turn there is not fuel pressure so....

There is a little back story to this, and i know you guys are going to think i am stupid but i have a tendency to make BIG mistakes.

#1 I have been having MAF sensor issues and i was troubleshooting so i had the A and B terminals shorted....and without thinking i tried to start the engine.....oooops any possible detrimental effects?

#2 Same sort of issue i was again troubleshooting and i grounded the fuel pump "G" termial and i forgot to unhook it when i left for the night come back the next morning start the car up and drive for a while realize what i have done and I shut the car off pull the jumper wire and tried to start the car again and now i found myself in the position i am not ......so if anyone could help i would greatly appreciate any

Thanks
-somepolishkid
Check ECM fuse on passenger side fender. It's also the fuel pump fuse.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:43 AM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Re: Possible ECM failure?

Thank you I finally got it started....It was nice too have it actually drive for longer than tem minutes without having trouble. So now i am back to square one.

Thanks Again