DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

How can you tell if you have an ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 T-TOP
Engine: 355 Lt1 w/Hotcam
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 4th gen limited slip
How can you tell if you have an ECM?

As you no doubt already noticed from the title of the thread, I am not a mechanic. I know the question sounds dumb, but here is why I am asking. I have an '84 Z28 with a 700R4. I don't think it is locking up. There are many posts about how to fix the problem, but they all reference an ECM and have different parts/solutions. I always thought an ECM was the "computer". I have a chip installed behind the passenger dash. I think it is an ECM. The car was and still is carbuerated, but there is a computer port below the steering wheel. Is the chip behind the passenger dash an ECM? How can I tell?
I went to the TCI site, but they reference retro fitting into a non-ECM 700R4. Again, I am not retrofitting, the tranny is stock. I have upgraded to a 350 instead of the stock 305, but have not changed anything regarding the carbuerator. I will post the how to fix my OD in the tranny section of the DB.

Last edited by pimpimusmaximus; 06-09-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How can you tell if you have an ECM?

Originally Posted by pimpimusmaximus
As you no doubt already noticed from the title of the thread, I am not a mechanic. I know the question sounds dumb, but here is why I am asking. I have an '84 Z28 with a 700R4. I don't think it is locking up. There are many posts about how to fix the problem, but they all reference an ECM and have different parts/solutions. I always thought an ECM was the "computer". I have a chip installed behind the passenger dash. I think it is an ECM. The car was and still is carbuerated, but there is a computer port below the steering wheel. Is the chip behind the passenger dash an ECM? How can I tell?
I went to the TCI site, but they reference retro fitting into a non-ECM 700R4. Again, I am not retrofitting, the tranny is stock. I have upgraded to a 350 instead of the stock 305, but have not changed anything regarding the carbuerator. I will post the how to fix my OD in the tranny section of the DB.
well you can tell by checking under the passengers side kick panel it is a little silver box with plugs in the back of it, and the little thing under the drivers side is a DLC or data link connector, this is where you can pull the codes from im not sure if a scan tool can be pluged in and you can pull the codes that way, ive heard on these early GM cars there was a key like thing that you used to reflash the computer you would just plug it into to ports and jump them and get your codes that way i have not done this on my car so i dont know, hope this helped.