DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

DFI tuning question: Car dies when I let off the gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DFI tuning question: Car dies when I let off the gas?

and I've tuned the stall saver file 58 ways to Sunday to no avail. Nothing seems to make much difference. I had the TPS at .5 when I got back home from tuning on the road it was at 1.0. I don't think that was it, not much resolution in that area with the computer and TPS. It's either at 0.0, 0.5 or 1.0 etc...

I have the butterfly opened about 3 rounds with the stop screw from closed position. Is that part of my prob? Where's a good starting place for that?

Anybody got any ideas here...help!

On a lighter note, I did make some improvements in the base fuel table while driving around in the 40 to 75mph range. Also a little at slower speeds. It doesn't "buck & kick" as much as it used to when starting from a stop or switching between gears although there is still plenty of improvement there.

Thanks for any help

David
Old 11-26-2001, 07:35 AM
RCR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '84 Fiero ('01 GA interior)
Engine: '96 4.0 Aurora
Transmission: '96 4T80E
Do you have the TCC wired directly to your ECM? I ask because I did this, too (I didn't know better). If you do, the torque convertor will lock in all gears except 4'th. This will cause a lot of bucking and stalling. I know. If you did this, you will need to invert the 4'th gear signal.

Also, make sure you have the throttle follower routine set. I've played with it a lot and found it's best to set it with the car in drive.

TPS voltage shouldn't change. Make sure screw is tight.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car is a 4spd stick but the guy I got the ecm from did have it in an auto car. He switched it over to a 5 spd manual though before selling the ecm to me.

I don't know if the ecm's are dedicated to run either auto or manual from the factory. I hope not. I thought it was just a setting in the Global or Setup file or whatever its called.

I'll have to look at it again and see what it's set at.

If I rev it for a short time in the driveway then let off it'll come back down to the idle setpoint. If I HOLD it at a high idle speed, say about 1800rpm for 20 or 30 seconds then let off, it'll drop down to a very low rpm, choke and puke for a second then die. Would this TCC wire still be a factor for my application?

I haven't messed with the throttle follower file yet. I'll try that next.

Thanks for the help
David

------------------
'73 L-82 (ZZ-4) and '96 LT-4 vettes
Austin, Texas

[This message has been edited by DavidR (edited November 26, 2001).]
Old 11-26-2001, 01:30 PM
RCR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '84 Fiero ('01 GA interior)
Engine: '96 4.0 Aurora
Transmission: '96 4T80E
David: The Tcc won't have anything to do with your 4 spd. The only similarity would be that with the TC locked, it's like letting out the clutch at too low an RPM.

Definitely look at the throttle follower. That's one of the first things that is supposed to be set. If you let of the gas, the IAC will drop down if it's too low, causing you to stall.

Info from Calmap manual at CruzinPerformance.com throttle dampening section. http://www.cruzinperformance.com/accel/page5-9.html

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited November 26, 2001).]