ALDL / ECM Bad? Need help :( - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

ALDL / ECM Bad? Need help :(

Old 11-03-2017, 07:17 AM   #1

Car: Firebird SE
Engine: 5.0 305 LG4
Transmission: Manual
Axle/Gears: 5 Gears

ALDL / ECM Bad? Need help :(

Hello from Germany. At first i hope my English will be well enough that you understand my question. Since a few Days i am a proudly Owner of an Firebird from 1985 with the 5.0L 305 V8 Engine with Carburator. Now my question:

The Engine Service Lamp runs instantly. I read on the Internet how to read out the ECM / Codes. When i connected A to B with an Wire, it doesn`t appear anything. The Light doesn``t flash or go off. It still burns, Ignition OFF / on ... the same ... i`ll try anything but nothing happend... I attached a picture of my ATLD Connector and i wonderes that there is lost the E and G connector.

Could anybody help me? The Engine runs fine and i didn?t have problems yet ... but i will delete the Engine Service Lamp and i think it will be better to know why it burns.

Regardly and best Greetings from good old Germany - Sascha
Attached Thumbnails
ALDL / ECM Bad? Need help :(-img_9448.jpg  
GermanV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
Sponsor

Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

Re: ALDL / ECM Bad? Need help :(

G should be for the lamp driver module. Not sure why it’s missing.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...ine-light.html
Tuned Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
Sponsor

Lamp driver testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBob View Post
OK, dug up some info on how the CEL is wired. Hopefully this is correct (appears to be).

Do a key-on, engine-off. Ground terminal D in the ALDL connector. The CEL should turn on. If so then the bulb is OK along with the +12 volts to it. This test just grounds the low side of the CEL bulb.

Check the gauges fuse, it powers the lamp driver.

Unplug the ECM then key-on, engine-off, the CEL should light up. If it does then either the ECM is bad, or it is not getting power.

If it doesn't light up then the lamp driver module is bad.

Note that there could also be an open wire somewhere, and not a bad bulb, driver module or such.

There are two power feeds to the ECM: battery +, (orange wire) and IGN+ (pink/black). The battery feed is via a fusable link, the IGN+ feed is via a 15 A fuse (labeled ECS ?).

RBob.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:05 AM   #4

Thank you so much! I will try the test and i think i will order such an Lamp Driver to test. THX from germany and i will reply if the Problem is fixed!
Old 11-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #5

Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

So when you turn the key on, the CEL just turns on and stays on, no flash?

If that's the case the ECM is in LHM (Limp Home Mode), you won't retrieve any codes, except possibly 51 (PROM Error).

You need to figure out why it's in LHM (If it is). This could be a missing power connection, though not usually, a PROM/MEMCAL that is not seated or missing (most common) or a failed PROM/MEMCAL (semi-common). I believe there's a couple other causes but can't recall what they are off hand. Googling a flow chart to diagnose LHM for your year and model should get you some ideas and a way to diagnose the issue.
Six_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:49 AM   #6

Hi, i think it will be not easy to find out. I checked my VIN and was wondered. My VIN says ist is an H with Automatic Transmission but still there is an 5 Gear Manual Transmission in my car .... i think so the Pre-Owners had do some tricky changes. Actually the Car is not here because i had an little accident. Few days ago i ordered the Lamp Module and hope when i changed it everything will be fine, we will see. Next Step would be a new or remanufactured ECM. If the Problem then not will be fixed i had to follow the Wiring Diagramm to check where the Problem is.

I think a lot of Parts are changed from the Pre Owners. My Speedometer BTW shows maximum 80Mph and runs forward a lot, i think there originally must be an 120MPH or not? I think the next days i would have many questions for here ....

I love this car ... and my passion woulld be to bring him to A++ .... Last days i orderd Parts for over hundreds of Euro .... But im proud to bring this American way of Live on german Roads back again
Old 11-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #7

Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (F)
Transmission: 700R
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Congratulations and Welcome!

As a proud owner, you may want to invest in a scan tool for OBD-I. A scan tool doesn't just read codes it can feed you live information such as mix ratio, timing, sensor readings, etc. and create data log files.
Tootie Pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #8

Hello Tootie, did u have a recommendation for an OBD-I Tool who works with my model? Thx a lot ....
Old 11-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #9

Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (F)
Transmission: 700R
Axle/Gears: 3.42

You can go one of three routes -

1. Vintage stand alone tools like the OTC 4000
2. Buy laptop software and a cable
3. Buy a bluetooth data transmitter and use your android phone (Apple Devices are not supported), tablet, or bluetooth laptop. You can get these form 1320electronics.com and redevilriver.com. You will still need an app. Basics apps are usually free, cool custom gauge/display apps cost up to $20. see DroidALDL.
Tootie Pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #10
Sponsor

http://www.winaldl.joby.se
To get the right computer/chip you can look at your ecm. It will have a service number on it. Then look at eBay for a ecm/chip. Your chip has 3 letters on it. This is the identification.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #11

Car: '92 Pontiac Firebird

Warum besuchst du nicht mal das wohl größte deutschsprachige Forum? www.f-body-nation.com
Da bin ich auch und das Wissen dort ist auch verdammt groß. Sind nicht ganz so viele Experten unterwegs, insbesondere im DIY PROM Bereich, aber deine genannten Probleme sollten dort auch sehr gut behandelt werden können.
Ein perfektes ALDL Diagnoseinterface gibts zum Beispiel von www.1320electronics.com

If anyone here is complaining what I wrote, I just gave him a link to the biggest german 3rd Gen Forum. Maybe we can help him there also in his native language. I am also an active member there and here.
J.C. Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #12

Hi J.C. ... DANKE werde mich gleich anmelden! Hatte euch nicht gefunden über google! LG

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards >