DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Datlog and Ve Learn

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Datlog and Ve Learn

Hi,

I have a ebl flash 4 ECM and I am using the WUD app. My questions is can you record a datalog and a VE learn at the same time? Is it as simple as selecting Datalog and the VE learn under the File drop down?

Dan
Old 06-30-2023, 02:21 PM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Datlog and Ve Learn

Yes, both can be done at the same time.

RBob.
Old 06-30-2023, 02:46 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 222 Likes on 192 Posts

RBob, so you can drive around and VE Learn for a while... then pull over to the side of the road and push a button to update the VE tables, then keep driving?

And it can all be done with the engine still running?
Old 07-01-2023, 09:20 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird, 77 Trans Am SE, 86 Z28
Engine: 5.7 HSR, T/A 6.6, empty
Transmission: T-5, TH350, T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi, 3.23 posi, 3.23

Clearly Rbob can tell me something about it that I don't know but as far as I know you have to shut if off to reflash to then start it back up and go. At least that's how I've always done it.
Old 07-01-2023, 01:21 PM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by ULTM8Z
RBob, so you can drive around and VE Learn for a while... then pull over to the side of the road and push a button to update the VE tables, then keep driving?

And it can all be done with the engine still running?
If there is a CALPAK in place, yes, the new VE Learned BIN can be flashed in with the engine running. The CALPAK calibration should also be close to the engine requirements, which is where it gets sticky.

When the ECM is flashed it goes into limp mode. So it depends up the CALPAK to run the fueling. Spark advance reverts to base (at idle). Once the flashing has completed (a few seconds), the ECM resets and resumes full control.

If there isn't a CALPAK in place, upon flashing the ECM shuts off the injectors and the engine stops running. Not a big deal, once flashing is done just tap the key to restart. This is how I do it, as it is a clean shut down of the engine. And no need to key-off, then on to flash.

The EBL list with CALPAKs and such:

EBL Classic, stock GM CALPAK installed.
EBL Flash, stock GM CALPAK installed.
EBL Flash-II, no CALPAK and no provision to add one.
EBL P4 & SFI-6, place on board to add a MEMCAL for the CALPAK. Not provided, needs to be added by user. Can also provide for a knock filter.

The sticky wicket part of this, along with why the CALPAK was eliminated in the EBL Flash-II, is that unless the CALPAK is calibrated for the engine and injector flow, fouled plugs can result. Which is a lot worse then just needing to tap the key to restart. And 99.9% of the folks using an EBL system have modified engines.

Note that the CALPAK is nothing more then a bunch of resistors. So it is easy to physically re-calibrate. But the need for at least a way to measure the injector PW (o-scope), doesn't make it entirely easy.

RBob.
The following users liked this post:
DanZ51 (07-05-2023)