DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Grumpy, Trax, Glenn and any other experienced tuners

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 12:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 GTA, 91 Formula, 89 TTA
Engine: all 225+ RWHP
Transmission: all OD
Axle/Gears: Always the good ones
Grumpy, Trax, Glenn and any other experienced tuners

Due to ongoing computer probs i have been having (see my other post) i was kinda forced into going the ed wright route as a temporary stop gap to get my car running at least well enuff for work and back

his chip does do much better than the stocker for sure car is not pig rich to the point where u can see it out the tailpipes but still extremely rich (go figure:-) )

my main question here is that since im still trying to get my computers(got another laptop today) working and functional versions of diacom, tunercat and pp software installed......

if i get diacom running will i be able to use the ed wright chip as a base to start my tuning using a stock bin? i know for sure that he expanded the blm field as i expperienced them as low as 100 with the int reading about normal in the 120-132 range

seems to be a alot of changes on the low end with quite a bit of timing being added at and near idle....this is about all i can get for now as i used a freinds scanner for about 1 hr to make sure she wasnt knocking to death .....running 10 degree base timing with 87 octane(left from before the vortec conversion) and got 4 degree max retard on a 20-80 run

so feel free to give me your opinons and please see my other post if u think u can help
thanks
tta
Old 04-15-2002, 12:20 AM

Car: 91 GTA, 91 Formula, 89 TTA
Engine: all 225+ RWHP
Transmission: all OD
Axle/Gears: Always the good ones
And i alos have printed out 205 of the 310? think pages of the 730 ecm hack and also have the prom tuning intro printed out....

and the part throttle 730 tuning post along with several others on egr deletion, highway mode and idle and wot tuning as well ...i prolly have close to 500 pages printed out and the tuning.tip article from dyi-efi board as well :-)

so i have been trying to make the most out of my non functioning laptop and software that hates me probs :-)
thanks guys
Old 04-15-2002, 07:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 T/A
Engine: 441 SBC 12.5:1 0.680" Lift
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 TruTrac Moser 9"
Here's a question: Does an Ed Wright chip have ALDL communications disabled entirely to keep you from logging the super-secret power calibrations??
Old 04-15-2002, 07:30 AM
Supreme Member

Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
If you want to talk about an Ed Wright chip, might just as well call him. I don't know anything about them, and would rather not.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:50 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Re: Grumpy, Trax, Glenn and any other experienced tuners

Originally posted by 3.8TransAM
... i know for sure that he expanded the blm field as i expperienced them as low as 100 with the int reading about normal in the 120-132 range...
Actually it indicates that his eprom is running much richer and the ECM is having to pull more fuel.

I can tell you right now that you won't be able to read an Ed Wright eprom for a 7730 with TunerCat (if it's like all the others I've seen).

I am forbidden to explain how to "crack" Ed's bins as there are a LOT of people and Vendors (like TunerCat and Xtronics) that I communicate with on a regular basis that would consider my "gracious act" of disclosing Ed's "protection technique" as an act of piracy and cease ANY further relationship I have with them. There view would be "if I explain how to crack this person's protection technique, then what am I doing to them behind their backs". I hope you understand.

I have to agree with Bruce that you will need to talk to Ed Wright about this and get him to e-mail you a version of his BIN that works with the $8D TDF. Maybe you are lucky and Ed made this eprom "readable" with the $8D TDF - but I wouldn't expect so. And I suspect Ed will most likely NOT give you a "generic $8D" version as there is a reason he's made his eproms not readable by TunerCat's $8D TDF .... he doesn't want you reading it.

My suggestion is to use Ed's eprom to keep your car running and when you get your computer all setup, then start with a "clean base" (AUJP if 350 auto) and start tuning from there. Personally, I think the fact that Ed's eprom is running "rich" (low BLMs) you aren't missing too much.

Again, I wish I could help you more, or tell you more. But that one little "gracious act" would cost me dearly, and I'm not prepared to pay the price.