DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

PROM tuning vs Mechanical tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PROM tuning vs Mechanical tuning

OK, I know everyone here loves PROM tuning and it is obviously better than other options.

I just wanna know if this is something I should do yet or not. I've heard custom proms don't help much at all hp wise on a basically stock motor. (Which I don't understand if even off the shelf chips can big improvements in SOME cars)

I have an 87 L98, coil, cap&rotor, wires, full exhaust, CAI, all free mods, ported plenum, LCAs & relocation brackets, SFCs.

Should I invest a lot of time and some money into burning equipement or just get a scan tool, AFPR and advance my timing and fuel pressure accordingly?

If I go with burning my own PROM will I want to get an AFPR or should I just go ahead and get bigger injectors since I will be able to adjust the fuel curve by changing the computer?

I know these are newbie questions, but I couldn't seem to find the right answers after a few searches.

Thanks a lot. Where would I be without you guys?

ANSWER: STOCK
Old 05-01-2002, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know a lot about Prom burning yet, but for your injector question, id have to say buy an AFPR. Reason: Running a higher pressure out of a smaller injector will result in better atomization than running a bigger injector at lower pressure, making the fuel easier to ignite. Thats all i can help you with for now.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 90 IROC
Engine: 406
Transmission: GMPP 93/4L60
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.27
I dont know much about tuning the MAF cars mine is SD. If you are serious about building your car for more power. I would get the stuff and start learning to burn your own proms, before you get a highly modified motor in your car. By then you will have a good start on learning how to tune your bin. I dont see why you couldnt get more power out of your setup with fine tuning, Even though your car is MAF and mostly stock. Off the shelf Custom Chips add power on mostly stock motors, at least they did for me. I bet you could tune your stock chip even better still to fit your driving stlye. The factory has these cars setup to run pretty rich with very little timing. Adding some timing in the right places and maybe lean things out if it needs it. You could add/subtract timing anywhere you like by buring proms. Thats Much better than just bumping up your initial timing. Although that could help even if you are burning your own proms if the motor responds to it.

You can get by with a scan tool, AFPR, and a timing light, probably get it to perform good. With the mods you have now and MAF you dont have to burn proms, But there is so much more you can do with the prom burning. If you really want to build up your car and get the most out of it burning proms is the way to go.
Old 05-04-2002, 12:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: PROM tuning vs Mechanical tuning

Originally posted by brian89transam
OK, I know everyone here loves PROM tuning and it is obviously better than other options.

I just wanna know if this is something I should do yet or not. I've heard custom proms don't help much at all hp wise on a basically stock motor. (Which I don't understand if even off the shelf chips can big improvements in SOME cars)

You want as much mechanical and software tunibility as possible.
Software has limits.
Every driver has a preference for how they like things.