DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Search, search search

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Search, search search

Well got tired of not having a clue so I started at page one (traxions introduction as moderator) and ready every post up to the present. Had to fill up the ink cartridge I printed so much. Point being for the newbies like me........there is a TON of info.

I think the one that stood out to me though is that this all underground stuff..no books, no mags, none of that stuff. Just have to experiment and pay very close attention to scan data!

Just my two cents later ken
Old 05-26-2002, 11:11 PM

Car: 78 Regal
Engine: 82 FBod LG4 305, 730 ECM
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Isn't it incredible that of all the car mags out there you never read anything about a DIY PROM. I have seen articles with cars that had owner burned proms but they never mention how they went about it, what editor they used, nothing! Now, if some dyno shop tuned the prom using the same editor we use, they get all the credit. That's the thing I love about DIY PROM, no advertising. I hate getting spam and pop-ups at every site but it's a safe haven here. What you see is what you get, no hype, no promises. Man I hope it stays that way.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
Oh neat, so youve acquainted yourself with the tip of the iceberg. Go to www.diy-efi.org and read the diy and gmecm archives. See you in a few years.
Old 05-27-2002, 02:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by Pablo
Oh neat, so youve acquainted yourself with the tip of the iceberg. Go to www.diy-efi.org and read the diy and gmecm archives. See you in a few years.

I hope you meant that as a joke.
The archives aren't nearly that much of an effort. Give up TV for a few weeks and that's more then enough time for the average guy to get thru them.

Once you get thru them a COUPLE times, then you can take notes and search for specific items.

The reason it so underground, is the dweebs at the magazines are all English majors, and little to no clue about ICEs. Funny how the big adverisers get the most article time.
Old 05-27-2002, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed
Awesome. I love it when people search and read old posts. There really is a ton of information here. Its really nice to read that a newbie actually went through the info! Great!!!

Tim
Old 05-31-2002, 10:23 AM
kvu
Banned

Right on grumpy!There is no money in exploiting diy-prom,yet.All it'll take is someone with money and marketing exp.Then the exploitation will occur.Really there is a very high probability diy-prom will blow up.Once the boneyards deplete the carb cars efi will get huge.I think taking the gurus on this site and making tuning centers would be the way to go.Get a jump on the "market".Some people just are too stupid(lazy) to learn diy-prom.Some don't have a pc.There is way more guys that love fast/beautiful cars that knows nothing about engines(dont want to get dirty) than guys that know how to work on them.But talking about making money off diy-prom is taboo and looked down on.But this keeps things pure .An diy-prom mag would be cool though.Dynoing before and after mods and seeing what in the prom needs addressed would get my subscription.I agree turning off the tv will help you diy-prom
Old 05-31-2002, 11:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by kvu
Right on grumpy!There is no money in exploiting diy-prom,yet.All it'll take is someone with money and marketing exp.Then the exploitation will occur.
I doubt it.
Eric Amos, Ken Kelly, Moates, and a couple other guys, have generated enough freeware that the commerical guys will never make the killing they once did.

I think we're well past critical mass in that department.

Think is now to get folks organized and really learning figuring out and doing some work on the code. the tuning stuff has been resolved.

I'll tell ya,
as smooth as my car was with just having the tuning RIGHT, with the last few code patchs it's incredible. It now acts like a 5 Spd car, and behaves the way I want it to.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:22 PM
kvu
Banned

I'm working on learning the code grumpy .Could you respond to my dear grumpy post?