DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Need help getting the right ECU with the right bin

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 03:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Engine: 2.3 DISI Turbo
Transmission: 6 speed MT
Need help getting the right ECU with the right bin

At least I think I'm having trouble doing it... I'm using GMECMEdit with a 32b ECU file and a stock '86 T.A. 305 TPI bin (supposedly matches mine with 2.73 gears, AT, AC, etc).

When I click on "single fire FI size @ 40" and "double fire etc etc..." the injector comes up as "0" LBS/hr. This can't be right, can it? Isn't that supposed to read the stock injector size? This was my first burn on a chip, which didn't work and I'm starting to think I've got either a wrong file, a corrupt file, or perhaps a bad burn. I just want some reassurance that I'm on the right track here.

Can someone confirm a place to get an '86 TA 305 TPI AT 2.73 geared ECU/BIN files from? I should be able to use any 32 ECU file, right??? As long as it's not a VATS enabled '89 unit as I understand it...
Old 05-15-2003, 08:41 AM

I think you may be confusing an .ECU file with a BIN. Excuse me if I'm wrong, but this will probably be of use to a lurker or two sometime anyway. There are other ways (and probably easier) to do this, but here is the way I did it.

I found what ECM and BIN you had from Ludis' site
I got a 1227165 $32 BUA Version 5 from the FTP incoming site

Then I got a copy of AUM012232.bin from The GMECM Bin Library

Then I opened my copy of GMECM from the legendary Mangus (you already have your free lunch from his site). I selected the ECU, then I went to File, Open Bin, and loaded the AUM bin.

I scrolled down to Double Fire, clicked on it and got 20.65 lbs/hr, then below to Single Fire and got 19.33.

Does that help?

John

PS. You said in another post that you are "Using GMECMEdit on an 86 TPI bin ($32)". The $32 is the Mask ID code that is a sort of standard template for various ECM programs (BINs, or binaries). These programs are what the ECM uses to develop output commands (eg injector pulsewidth) from input sensor info (eg MAP and TPS). You might say that you are "using GMECMEdit on an AUM bin ($32 mask). In order to have the editor find where in the binary file to look for the various flags, constants and arrays, there is an ECU file (first kicked off by Rbob?) that provides the addresses.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:10 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Engine: 2.3 DISI Turbo
Transmission: 6 speed MT
Yes John, I actually just mistyped. I had the wrong ECU file apparently. With all of the reading I've done, I had confused what can be crossed between the 165 ECUs and had been trying to use an 89 ECU with an 86 bin and it wasn't working.

Thanks for setting me straight. I just hope it stays straight in my head from now until when I have time to burn again tonight after work.