DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Pocket Programmer 2 software

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 07:47 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: WC T5
Pocket Programmer 2 software

I have been trying to get a hold of a sample of pp2 software to see if it would work better with my PP1 and 29c256, However, I dont want to spend $45 and then have it not work or not work any better than the software I have now.

Right now it took 4 different computers to get it to work, the one that I did get it to work on is not even mine, bummer, the other 3 it did not work on I could write FF to chip but not write the bin it would only get part of the way and then freeze.

From what I have read in other posts the new software might take care of the problem.

techtronics demo program is no help because it does not allow you to write to the chip, so I wrote them and asked if they had a demo that would let you do it like for a week or even once as a demo and they said:

"Sorry, no sample programs - but they come with a year of support - some
older units need updating - if they have a screen printed label rather
than a sticker.
--------------------------------------------------
Karl Schmidt EMail Karl@xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc. WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street Ph(785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049 FAX(785) 841-0434

Definition of Windows XP:
SPAM, thinly disguised as an operating system
--------------------------------------------------"

Yah like that year of support is going to do me any good! So they are no real help, so I'm still at a dead end.

Is there anyone who was having problems with 29c256's with an old lap top and use the new software and then it was fine?

Can any one help me out?
Old 06-11-2003, 10:04 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
I initially had the same problem back when I got my Pocket Programmer and their Windows Software was only at Version 1.12.

I then wrote to them and stated that I was very happy to purchase their software IF they could guarantee it would work. They responded that if I bought the software they would make every effort to make it work.

They did and I stopped upgrading at Version 1.30 as it worked perfectly and I didn't want to screw things up by going to a future upgrade.

I say give it a try. Xttronics DOES stand by their product and will make every effort to make it work properly. And, if you pay by Visa and they don't get it right - cancel the transaction. But I think Xtronics will get you working properly.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Engine: 2.3 DISI Turbo
Transmission: 6 speed MT
I had problems with old software and a newer computer, let alone my old laptop. Now that I've got the PC working right (P-III 600 running ME), I've uploaded the new program to the 486 laptop running Win 95 with no problems burning the 29C256 chips. I never tried the old program on the 486 because the 486 was having O.S. problems and wouldn't turn up correctly. It works well now after rebuilding the HD.

There is one bug that both of my machines have though... Choosing the chip type is kind of hard. When the mouse is on one type of chip, then you click it, the chip type changes and locks in to the chip type 4 or 5 spaces above the chip type you actually wanted to choose. It took a little while to get the right chip type to come up, but after that I haven't had any problems really.